I Can't find a replacement for Cork float in Sending unit.

Guest arm49

Guest arm49

I am getting ready to put the clean and sealed gas tank back in my 27 Cadillac. I want to replace the cork float in the sending unit. I have checked at Napa and other car stores. They look at you like what in the hell are you talking about. I even looked at Catalogs. I just can not find were to pick up a float. I have seen plastic ones. It is a retangle. 4-3-11/2 . Any ideas. I don't even know what the plastic float materal is called. I even googles . Nothing. thanks.

arm49...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

I feel confident that respondents will come on-line shortly.

In the meantime:

Click on "Search" within the header.

Left Column: "All Forums"

Right Column:

1. Key Search Terms: "Sending Unit"

2. Date Range: Newer than 8 Years. Older than 6 Months.

3. Click "Submit"

There are many discussions from the past within the Search feature.

Hope this helps.

PJHeizmann

Guest myfirstbuick

Hello Arm49, Funny thing you should ask. I've been looking myself and wonder why it's so daggone difficult to find. I ended up going to Pro Bass shop and buying round cork fishing bobbers. Walla.

Guest imported_49packard

If all else fails-there are a bunch of guys who advertise in Hemmings that rebuilt sending units. You may be able to buy a float from them.

Guest arm49

I was thinking there might a plastic replacement for the cork. But if I have to use the cork I will. Thanks for all your help. Alan

Guest antiquepa

SNYDERS ANTIQUE FORD in NEW SPRINGFIELD OHIO sells cork floats, im sure these will work on anything requiring a cork float.

Guest elmo39

the last three posts sound like just what you need , but if you do have to go to the straight cork replacement it will have to be sealed . i am not sure of this but i think the originals were sealed with shelack which is a type of varnish

Be VERY careful with the cork blocks. Most natural cork will float, but many of the cork blocks are "composite". They grind the cork into small bits, and "glue" it together with a binder. This stuff is heavier than natural cork AND WILL NOT FLOAT!

I am unaware of a source for the poly-nitraphyll closed cellular foam in blocks this size.

An alternative would be balsa wood. Most hobby or craft shops have balsa in blocks of this size. Whittle to the desired size, affix whatever arm may be necessary, and seal the exterior of the float. We would suggest using POR-15 as the sealant.

Jon.

It's fairly simple to make a float out of sheet brass. I tried composite cork and as a previous poster said it dosen't float. It took me about an hour to cut out and solder up one out of brass. Works excellent.

Guest Albert

Would it not be easier to go to the wreakers and get one off a modern car and just adapt the end of the rod to accept the new float