charging a 6 volt battery

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Packardsforever

Shame on me, I have let me 49 Custom sit for too long and the battery needs charging.I can't remember the correct procedure for hooking up the charger to a 6 volt system. Please advise. My charger is for 6 or 12 volt systems.

Thanks

Guest Packardsforever

I did this with another 6volt Packard a long time ago and remembered hooking one of the cable to a metal part of the car for a ground I think. It was on the instructions of the charger, of course I lost the instructions.

Are you sure it's just pos. to pos. and neg. to neg.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packardsforever</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are you sure it's just pos. to pos. and neg. to neg.? </div></div>

Yup, once the cables are disconnected, a battery is a battery.

Your car is positive ground (unless it has been altered), perhaps that is what you are remembering?

he might be remembering the proper safe procedure for jump-starting a dead battery, where you hook the jumper cables to the dead battery first, then hook the positive up to the positive terminal on the "good" car then hook the ground to a suitable metal ground well away from the battery. the reason for this is to aviod a battery explosion caused by any sparking that occurs when the ground is hooked up.

Just hook Pos. to pos, Neg to neg. right on the battery (that way there is no confusion as to polarity), just as Packard8 suggests, make sure the power is off to the charger when hooking up. Hopefully you have a trickle charger and can gradually bring your battery back up. overnight is usually sufficient.

One thing to bear in mind is that 6 volt batteries take a long time to fully charge up, a lot longer than 12 volt batteries.

I like to use a "slow" charge and leave it on for 12 hours to 24 hours. Take off the charger and let the battery rest overnight. Then put it on again.

Even after charging like this for several days it is possible the battery will not be fully charged. I have had them seemingly fully charged, started the car fine etc. but on the road the ammeter showed the battery still charging for 100 miles before the ammeter went down.

Guest yimmortal

i just charged mine, very easy

left it all hooked up to the car,

put the pos on the pos terminal

put the neg on the neg terminal

set the charger for 6 volts, turned it on and walked away for a couple hours and watched harry potter with the kids!!

started right up like normal

no reason to make it difficult

Guest CaptainBristol

I left the headlights on in a parking lot awhile back and returned to a nearly-dead battery. Fortunately the car was situated on a VERY slight incline about 100 yards long. I just pushed her out, jumped in, and and let her coast with the ignition on. Popped the clutch in 1st and waited for the engine to catch. But nothing happened. It was as if I was still in neutral.

I hit the brakes and pondered my situation. Then I remembered the overdrive. I Pulled the OD control all the way out and got her rolling again. Speed was probably no more than 3 MPH, but when I popped the clutch the 2nd time she caught and vroomed to life. The 3-mile drive back to my place put a reasonable charge on the battery and I haven't had a problem with it since. Of course, I now remember to turn off the lights!