Headlight reflector replate.

Dave_B

I took mine to the local silverware (knives, forks and spoons) shop. They did and excellent job. The charge was less than the local chrome plater and I believe the finish was better.

From experience, don't resilver, use UVIRA instead. Resilvering will degrade from 98% to 85% in a few years. UVIRA's process stays at 97%. Have the reflectors re-nickel plated (not chrome) and send them to UVIRA for their coating process. Absolutely satified with results. UVIRA's process is used for hospital operating room lighting. The president, (Bill Atwood I think) is a car guy who accomodates car people since he still holds the patent for the company. UVIRA's price is approx $65 per pair. Do a search of UVIRA on this site for more info, if needed.

Send reflectors to Uvira, Inc., P.O. Box 1137, 310 Pleasant Valley Rd., Merlin, OR 97532. 1.541-956-6880.

The only other metal plating I'm aware of that gives the same reflective properties as silver is rhodium, a semiprecious metal of the platinum family. Rhodium plating is common in the high end jewelry business and has the added advantage that it doesn't tarnish or oxidize like silver. By far the best solution to headlight reflectors, I had mine done about 40 years ago and they are still as bright as day one.