splitdorf coil box

David J

David J,

Your pictured box is a low tension magneto switch/coil. The number of cylinders is determined by the magneto.

A 4 cylinder coil box would have 4 coils in it and a timer to match on the engine.

old car fan,

The coil on the right in your picture has 2 high tension terminals on the bottom, it is for a 2 cylinder engine.

Being an old Model T man this is all new to me. I have the splitdorf magneto (much different that the magnetos I am used to in the  "T" transmission) still mounted beside the engine. I am more used to the coil box arrangement on my '15 and how those coils work.

I know that the box pictured is in fact on a J-30 and thus is a 4 cylinder car. I am not sure however how it is interconnected.  The problem is that there are just not a lot of the J-30s around to compare. Those one can find by a search have been restored without reference to the original specs.

I am sure open to some place I can read up on how these systems work. My wife's grandfather, wired in a modern coil so he could drive the car around and ran it off a battery so I don't have a lot to go on.  My car is a early-mid year 1910 (car #47)

Thanks

• 4 years later...