65 SLIGHT ENGINE WHISTLE

jframe

The old girl has developed a slight whistle at idle. Think it might be a vaccum leak, but it runs pretty well to be that. Don't hear it off idle, and the car seems to run and accelerate well. Any ideas from minds much more mechanically inclined than mine? Any easy checks I can make?

5 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Have you checked all of your rubber hoses attached to the carb or running to the air cleaner canister (if any) or attached to any vacuum switches in the engine bay?

Not REAL close yet. I know the brake booster hose and advance hose are both fairly new, bit anything can happen. Really just noticed it a few days ago and Alabama is still awfully soupy here, so I kust haven't dug in hard yet

• Like 1

I am.leaning to a bad booster. Not really hearing the noise now, but it takes a pretty good amount of pressure on the pedal to hold it still while in gear. Pushes down about halfway and then pedal gets HARD. The master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and rubber hoses are all brand new, along with the shoes and all hardware. Booster is only thing I haven't messed with. The hose to the check valve is new. I saw where one member was able to procure one from Autozone; I really don't want to send it off to Booster Dewey and have it redone, and have the car down that long. Any of the rest of y'all had any success with aftermarket? As an aside, I broke a plug wire, and bought a whole set from Autozone for not much more than a single wire would cost, and they acyually fit a LOT better than the AC Delco set that was on the car.