DA Running board trim

Dodgenz

Hi all, I have had some running boards made up, but am not sure of the trim/edging required to make it correct. The old one has a folded piece around the corner (as per pictures) which seems fairly original, but I've been told there are different pieces that go on the ends, so therefore there would be a mitred join where the ribbed type meets the (supposed) flat piece used on the ends.

I know the mat has been changed, but not sure about the trim. Also I assume there is only the outside piece and the ends, not an inside piece as this would be under the car? Does anyone have any photos/info? Thanks

DA board edge.jpg

trim a.jpg

trim b.jpg

My 27 Sedan has the edge trim mitered on the top corner, and folded around the face corner.  I believe the original trim was zinc, as it was soft and weighed more than the aluminum I had to replace it with.  My running board top looked the same as in your pictures, and is available in the big box stores.  I enjoyed working on my car,  so go for it on yours!!  Chuck

The L&L website doesn't seem to work. It says the domain name may be for sale - are they still in business? if I click on their name it just takes me to a bunch of ads - including my local timber supplies!

It would be good to know if mine is original...

Not sure this will help, but it can't hurt.

My DA running boards were in very poor condition, with only a few pieces of trim left, but from what I have, I believe that they were aluminium (aluminum) and the ribbed pieces outer strip wrapped around to go between the running board and the mudguards (fenders) , as yours seem to do from the photos. There was not enough left of mine to determine if there was a strip on the inside and I was unable to tell from the other vehicle I looked at to tell. The photos I have included are from a very original and unrestored DA belonging to a friend that I have used on many occasions to determine "how things were really done" originally. Not sure they will really be of use to you, but as I said, can't hurt.

I have recently bought (in Australia) a running board "kit", which uses very similar ribbed section for the outer edge, but unribbed pieces for the ends. This in some ways is logical, in that there is less of a gap between the running board and the mudguards (fenders), but does leave a potentially sharper join, than if it were wrapped around. I am sure this will not be a problem for me. The kit also includes an unribbed piece for the inner edge (that as you say, you don't see anyway).

Good luck, John.

DSC02389m.jpg

DSC02392m.jpg

DSC02395m.jpg

DSC02396m.jpg

That helps a lot John. It looks as if mine might be original then. There seems to be a slight gap between the mudguard/wing and the board anyway (same as mine) so the rib continuing around the corner across the front and back wouldn't matter. It may have had fenderwelt or similar in it. Did you get your kit from Old Era ? The separate pieces sound familiar. (I can't see the point of a fourth piece under the car which isn't seen. Some other cars have four edges trimmed but not the DA as far as I have seen).

Your second and last photo also seem to show a piece of fenderwelt sandwiched between the mat and the car body which would make sense, so i'll go with that too.

Thanks for those pictures - really useful.

Yes, I did get the kit from Old Era Services. I also got the rubber from them. It is not quite the same as original, the ribs are slightly different in width, but I doubt anyone would notice, as they are pretty close. They used to make the running boards as well, but that is now done by Old World Panels in Queensland. They are making a set for me, not really built the same as original, but dimensions are the same, so will wait and see when I get them. A bit dear, I thought, but they will be delivered for free, so that helps a lot (he is coming south for a wedding, I think). Keep my fingers crossed and wait.

I'm tempted by their rubber, but might be expensive to get sent, and as not exact I may as well get something not exact here. There is some boat mat which is similar in Auckland. Hope your boards come out ok, mine weren't ideal either, but will fit  and once covered be ok for now.