1936 Dictator 3A Stromberg carb

If is it a BXO-26, the top is very thin and warps over time. Look at the edges between the screws - they are probably wavey. The warp is caused by tight screws on a compressible gasket.

You may be able to bend it back to flat. GENTLY! You need a piece of flat steel, some clamps and copious boiling water. Lightly clamp the wavey top to the steel. Pour boiling water over it and tighten the clamps a little while still hot. More boiling water, more tightening. Let sit until cool and check. Repeat until flat. You may need  shims under the screw holes to get it full flat. The die cast metal is very brittle with a low melting point so be very gentle with it.

Also, is the float level right and does the inlet needle valve work reliably?

• 2 weeks later...

Stromberg carb, model ex-23.

Hello again, I have rechecked the float level and purchased a gauge to check the pressure of the fuel pump. It read between 2 and 2.5 pounds. I checked the idle screw and the needle and seat, also.  I read in my "shop manual for 1936 models" that the economizer valve may need to be taken out and lapping using fuller earth and liquid soap. I can still get it to fire then it floods out.  I have to take off the vacuum advance line from the manifold and drain out the gas.  I can't seam to find what is causing this problem.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks, Dennis

Edited by 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic (see edit history)

A more complete description might help.

Will the engine not start?

Is the carburetor leaking after you shut it off?

If so much fuel is draining into the intake manifold to prevent starting, there are several possibilities, but the most likely would be a defective discharge valve under the accelerator pump allowing fuel to syphon through the accelerator pump circuit.

If the spring in the valve is weak, or the plunger is stuck then no amount of fuller earth and liquid soap is going to help; it will need to be replaced.

Jon.

Good Morning, If I get it to start it only runs for 10 to 15 seconds at the most or it just fires and then floods out.  So it is hard to tell if the carb is leaking.I have had the valve out and the plunger wasn't stuck. If it is the valve how can I find another one. I appreciate your help/comments, I am not the world best mechanic.  I am a chef/teacher by trade and working/restoring the 36 is my hobby.

Thanks,

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...