1946 Dodge coupe parking brake band replacement help

Brooklyn Beer

With all the help on the links archived here I would like to thank all the folks for the great advice on pulling the drums of my newly acquired 46 dodge coupe and getting the rear brakes in top order.  Now time to move onto another problem. Can't find any info on it.  The parking brake band is not doing squat to hold the car an inkling. Not good in a fluid drive car. Have searched high and low for any link to show  just how hard an issue this will be to fix.  Any help appreciated. Pictures even better.  This car sat unused for close to 10 years and I am working through issues. So the parking brake band is next followed by getting rid of the 1000-1400 rpm stutter/shimmy/ on take off.   Thanks in advance for all the help.

A quick search on Google showed these illustrations as well as others (1941 chrysler transmission parking brake).

Remember Google or Duck Duck Go are your friends.

iu3Q3ILT7A.jpg

iu[1].gif

Might want to pick up a shop manual to see how the adjustment is done. If the lining is shot, material is available and a number of antique auto vendors sell a tool that makes riveting the lining on pretty easy.

The second diagram is later.

The over center lever can be adjusted right there under the dash via the knob on the end of the handle.

Not sure when they first came that way but 64 was the last year that the parking brake was on the back of the tranny on the pick ups.

I think the adjustable handle went on for awhile after the parking brake used the shoes on the rear axle. Seems I remember these on some Dodge motor homes and vans on into the late 70s.