WTB Want to Buy 1911 Virginia license plate

Anyone have a nice 1911 Virginia license plate they'd be willing to let go to a good home?  Fair price and then some paid.

long shot I know but thought I'd ask.

thanks. David Coco Winchester Va

The Virginia porcelain plate archives are updated as of a few days ago.  The fellow who handles the website was visiting me last week, and I shamed him (kinda, I gently fussed at him) into updating (while giving him numerous pictures of plates not on the site!).  In fact, I just sent him a picture of a 1914 that he didn't have on the site.

Good news, I found a 1911 plate.  It's not perfect by any means but it's nice, and will finish my 1910-1972 Virginia run.  I doubt I'll ever find an undated 1906-1909 Virginia plate that I can afford.....

As a side note, we've located the records that show who bought most every 1910 Virginia license plate, and what kind of car they bought it for.  I have one 1910 (692) that was on an Elmore, owned by a taxi service in Washington DC (states did not have reciprocal agreements, so if they ran a fare into Virginia they had to have a Virginia plate on the car).  The Elmore was quite unusual, and they had a fleet of them, being a 2-cycle 4 cylinder engine.  That 1910 is a little rough but still desirable, I'll probably end up selling it soon.  The other 1910 Virginia plate I have was bought by a gentleman in Staunton, Virginia, for his 1910 Pierce Arrow 48 HP.....which means something special to me, and it's in excellent condition.....

Thanks!  David C.

IMG_0237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, trimacar said:

Good news, I found a 1911 plate. 

Well, deal fell through.  Still looking for a very good 1911 Virginia plate.  I know they're hard to find...thanks David C.