Installation of electric headlight motors in 68-69 Riviera

NC1968Riviera

All,

A German contributor to the ROA's "Buick Riviera Owners and Enthusiasts - Official ROA Facebook Group" has posted pretty interesting instructions for converting 68-69 Riv vacuum controlled opening and closing of the headlights to electrically controlled.

Read his instructions and see his posted pictures, video and wiring diagram. I think he may be on to something here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BuickRivieraOwners/permalink/1669982726384249/

If you can access this posting and you are a FB  member, you may have to join the "Buick Riviera Owners and Enthusiasts - Official ROA Facebook Group" first.

If you are not a FB member, I don't know if you will be able to see this posting. I will ask the poster to contribute on this thread.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I can't imagine why one would do that. The vacuum setup lasts forever, while the electric motor setup is very troublesome.

In 49 years the vacuum operated  hideaway headlight covers on my 69 GTO have never had a problem.

26 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

Don't be a nay sayer! There are plenty of Riv owners who want to modernize the operation of their headlights. If you follow ROA on FB at all you will know I am correct. 

Is switching from vacuum to electric actually modernizing?  The trunk releases on my 63 and 64 don't even need a battery in the car to open them remotely. You can just suck and they'll open.  Sounds to me like someone found it easier to make a conversion than to trouble shoot a problem that may or may not have existed.  Did the guy ever say "why?" 

The vacuum system in '68 and '69 Riviera is great as long as it is working properly.

Like most automotive innovations they were not designed to last forever, and  I'm sure many '68-'69 owners would agree.

One split hose, old age,  corrosion, or a faulty component, and the entire system can be rendered almost useless.

They can be a real P.I.T.A. to diagnose problems and repair or replace faulty components in a vacuum system !

This electric conversion is really quite simple and very easy to accomplish, as an alternative solution !

I think it's a great update for any '68 or '69 Riviera, and appreciate all the FB info provided.

Thanks for posting Mike !! :)

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1