A Question On Values

Errol1

Recently, I've been considering trading one of my other cars for another Reatta. Basically, I'm doing it to standardize parts, tools, knowledge, etc. I've already sold one of my other cars, and now I have two possible trading options for one of the others.

1) 1989 Coupe -100500 miles. Looks to be average upkeep, good interior, CRT working, seems to run well. Has a power lock and passenger window issue, but overall not too bad.

2) 1990 Coupe - 169000 miles. A little below average upkeep. Probably needs the passenger seat reupholstered. Everything else seems to work. The trade price is a little over half of the 1989, although neither are really high  

I'm wondering how much the higher mileage affects the price on these cars? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Errol1 (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, Cargirl said:

In real estate it comes down to location, location, location. For cars, it's miles, miles and appearance. The '89 is in better shape with 70,000 less miles, if it's in your price range is seems an easy choice.

Yes, I was leaning this way. I still don't know if I am going to get another one... they seem to multiply like rabbits.

I agree Errol 100%!! I have had 4 Reatta's over the years. If I am ever foolish enough to sell the one I have right now (I don't see that happening but who knows)  then in two years I would be looking for # 5. Corvette's and Reatta's, once you have been infected just submit to the impulse. Another car that gets in your head, a 1988 to 1996 Jaguar XJS. I am sure anyone that likes the feel of Reatta would love the driving experience of the XJS. Like the Reatta, you can pick up a higher miles XJS for pretty cheap. Mine is a convertible, a really great car!

Well to me the CRT makes it a landmark car. Also do not care for the 90 steering wheel.

Know I want to keep my coupe, keep vascillating about the 'vert or my SLK retractable. Reatta is just a better road car. All are paid for and have the garage space. Each car has a door. Decisions Decisions.

Since no one posted any prices I will make a stab.....that usually prompts other to disagree.

The 1989 with 100K..........$2500 - $4000 depending overall appearance, tire condition and gut feel.

The 1990 with 169K.........$2000 -$3000.........condition

On both cars.......add up the cost of things they need and consider that when making an offer.   Remember whatever you do to them it will not lower the mileage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Since no one posted any prices I will make a stab.....that usually prompts other to disagree.

The 1989 with 100K..........$2500 - $4000 depending overall appearance, tire condition and gut feel.

The 1990 with 169K.........$2000 -$3000.........condition

On both cars.......add up the cost of things they need and consider that when making an offer.   Remember whatever you do to them it will not lower the mileage.

Thank you. I need to look them both over carefully.. Call me weird, but I like the CRT, though...

Edited by Errol1
Omitted word (see edit history)

The CRT can turn some people on and turn other off.........Most are concerned about getting them repaired if they fail, there are places that fix them prices start at $100

The CRT is pretty interesting......you can get more information on the screen than on a conventional dash.   I have owned two 1989's and after I purchased the first one I spent some time

playing with the CRT.    In the shade of the garage, (which also makes it easier to read) I hooked up a battery charger so I did not run the battery down and spent close to 2 hours going thru

all the options and rat holes you can get to with the CRT.    If you go deep enough, you can even bring up the VIN number of the car via the CRT.

You will need a factory service manual to exercise the CRT to it fullest capabilities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Well you do not appear to have an 89 and sounds like it is a better value. What does it need ? Figure a grand if the AC is inop. $600 for decent tires.

I know the owner of the 89 has been more honest with me. The other owner has told me some things that don't square with what I saw. The 89 has good AC, and three new tires. For whatever reason, they kept one of the old tires when they replaced the others. We'll see. A friend gave me a lead on another one that he thinks I should look at before I decide. 

In the meantime, I'm going to list my CRX for sale. I'm tired of all the different parts, tools, diagrams, etc... I guess I'm getting old.?

13 hours ago, Dashmaster said:

In my opinion Paint Condition is you biggest concern. Car needed a re-paint will easily exceed it value by a large amount unless you can paint it yourself.

Very true, from my experience.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:28 PM, Errol1 said:

Recently, I've been considering trading one of my other cars for another Reatta. Basically, I'm doing it to standardize parts, tools, knowledge, etc. I've already sold one of my other cars, and now I have two possible trading options for one of the others.

1) 1989 Coupe -100500 miles. Looks to be average upkeep, good interior, CRT working, seems to run well. Has a power lock and passenger window issue, but overall not too bad.

2) 1990 Coupe - 169000 miles. A little below average upkeep. Probably needs the passenger seat reupholstered. Everything else seems to work. The trade price is a little over half of the 1989, although neither are really high  

I'm wondering how much the higher mileage affects the price on these cars? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMO, assuming the body/paint on both are in great condition and mechanically no major issues, the 1989 is a better value. Everything under the hood could be repaired/replaced for either car. Current resale on both cars will be about the same. 

I'm not dismissing that convertibles usually command more money. But if the Reatta was to be considered a valued collectible, the CRT in the 1989 better demonstrates (for that era) what tech could be for the future of automobiles.  ...and here we are current day where 'tech' has become the selling point for new cars.