1951 Pacemaker coupe...?

Alaskacy

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify exactly which model of a 1951 Hudson Pacemaker this is? Also, I'd wonder if anybody could give me an idea of the value?

Know that it is mostly original. Has the original flathead six as well as is number-matching for the drivetrain, transmission, motor and rear end. All original chrome in like-new condition inside. Otherwise completely redone interior to factory specifications. 94k original miles,  three owners. Three-speed overdrive. 

Really appreciate the help on this one! 

Cyrus 

received_2121295947900591.jpeg

received_2121296044567248.jpeg

received_2121296027900583.jpeg

received_2121295911233928.jpeg

@Roysboystoys, thank you! I wouldn't have caught that detail but am glad you did.

This will be my first classic car and I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible. Everything I've posted is what I've been told by the seller, which is why I was hoping to find some help from experts on here. We will be checking out the ID plate and all of the numbers this afternoon. In trying to look up values online, I haven't been able to tell precisely which model of Pacemaker this is... the closest I can find is the 'Custom two-door Brougham overdrive' but the seller doesn't think it's a 'Brougham'. 

@nzcarnerd, The VIN on the Title begins with '4A' does that tell you anything? 

Thanks again.

The choice of color is not likely to be found on the list of original Hudson selections.  

Original flathead six? Maybe. The Pacemaker was the lower cost series and had a smaller engine from the top line Hornet. It was/is VERY COMMON to put the bigger Hornet engine as part of any rebuild. (not necessarily bad) 

Interior redone to factory specifications? Hudson used upscale cloth that is expensive to source today and the basic Hudson construction is difficult to replicate. Many Hudson interiors have been redone with serious labor saving shortcuts. 

#1 question that YOU must answer: What do you intend to do with it. 

If you just want something to drive around and have fun and  have something that is reliable, this may be a good car for you

If you want something that will appreciate (is worth serious future restoration) and draw the attention of knowledgeable old car enthusiasts this car is likely to fall short in that area. 

NEVER, never rush into and old car purchase! You say this is your first old car purchase. Be advised that there are more old cars out there than you can imagine. (you dont know that yet because you are not immersed in the hobby) Too many people have rushed to buy a car from a dealer on impulse (because they thought old cars were scarce) and later discovered a much better old car value from another source. 

The BEST way to evaluate ANY old car is to have it looked at by someone who is knowledgeable in that brand & era. Search Hudson club (They are generally down to earth car loving people) and do your best to connect with someone who can look at the car for you. (maybe even just pictures) They can tell you more than you can imagine. 

AND if you do purchase it, you will need to connect with them anyway as a source of parts, information and social activities. 

Good luck and welcome to the old car hobby. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Alaskacy said:

@nzcarnerd, The VIN on the Title begins with '4A' does that tell you anything? 

Pacemaker is about as close as the ID info will tell you. There are no clues to the body type from that. There were three two door types: a Brougham for $2,102,. a Club Coupe for $2,145 and a regular Coupe for $1,945. No info on how many of each type were made either. You will need a Hudson expert to sort it out further.

here is an open Hudson forum , no charge to join. Every question you can think of can be answered here. 

https://forum.hetclub.org/categories/hudson

Most people starting out in the hobby would not know the body work was modified on that car.

But  a lot of Hudson " nuts" would not give it value over an original . It would cost multiple thousands of dollars to make it factory.

It's more of a street rod than " classic" car.

Pacemaker was the entry level Hudson, like Ford Mainline or Plymouth Savoy.

Commodore and Hornet are the " desired" models.  , but Pacemakers are good touring cars with overdrive , about 26-28 mpg

It's a coupe , the business coupe had no back seat , the brougham had a longer back window and the same roof line as a sedan.

I have no idea what the price is , but I suspect you can find an original for the price of that car.?

All depends on what you want and need.

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)

It's a shame they did that with the bottom and what happened to the trim on the sides?  Even if the car was rust free,  first thing I think is it has to be a rust bucket that's been all bondoed up.  Reminds of the daily beaters the guys bondoed up or smoothed over with plaster of paris one last time before they really went south.