overdrive parts needed

ellagee

I'm converting my 1940 champion to an overdrive transmission and need a couple parts.

1. drive shaft.  this is shorter than the current one due to the longer length of the transmission with overdrive. As indicated in the chassis parts catalog (page 314) , it is a type "E" 49 3/16 in length. Part # 196639

2. Solenoid control switch  part # 195774 (page 250 of the chassis parts catalog 0731-12)

ellagee@charter.net

517 795-9658 

The type E driveshaft in the 1934-46 parts book is set up for two standard 1310-series U-joints, no slip joint in the shaft.  This presumes there is a sliding yoke in the rear of the transmission., though my parts books don't show it that way.  Which OD transmission have you got?  Probably T86-1D or T86-1E.  The 1929-40 parts book shows the length of the 196639 driveshaft as 50-5/16" but with a slip joint for OD cars. 

Once you figure out which one you have, any local driveline shop can make up a new driveshaft for you, either with or without the slip joint.  They will balance it, too. 

The 195774 solenoid control switch may be difficult to find.  You can us the later 529479 switch (see Studebaker International, $39.50).  Just ground one side.  You'll need to make a bracket to hold the switch so the throttle linkage can contact the plunger when you push the gas pedal all the way down.  A small toggle switch under the dash can be used to manually kick out the overdrive for climbing hills, etc.

Stephen Allen shows a 195774 switch in stock: 

See https://mystudebaker.com/electric/brake-light-back-up-light-headlight-dimmers-other-switches/ 

I recently had a short driveshaft with a slip yoke made from scratch using 2.5" o.d. tube and 1310 size yokes.

drive shaft with slip yoke.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

I changed a 66 gm pickup from the original three speed, to a three speed with borg warner overdrive. I had to shorten the front driveshaft. If its done properly and yokes lined up and dialed exactly true ive never had a need to balance driveshafts.  I just replaced the rear yoke on this truck because one side was worn thru from someones wore out ujoint coming apart years ago. and its a pretty simple job (for a machine shop)

Gary,

Thanks for the info.  I found my switch at Steve Allens and I've decided to have my drive shaft shortened. One last issue I have is the wiring of the overdrive relay , solenoid control switch and solenoid. I have not seen a clear wiring diagram that show what I need.

Again, it depends which overdrive transmission you have.  Early ones, like my T86-1D, are pretty simple, having the actuator solenoid, mechanical governor, and a single-pole switch and relay for briefly shorting the coil..  Later ones like T86-1E, used an electrical governor, lock-out switch on the back of the transmission and a double-pole double-throw switch for the kickdown.

Here is a diagram for the M5 truck, which should be pretty close to a 1940 Champion.  I mounted the relay on the firewall beside the voltage regulator.  I installed a manual switch for the kickdown since I couldn't find the bracket and carb linkage for the usual kickdown switch.  The photo below also shows the starter button I added to eliminate having to step on the clutch to engage the starter.  Ford-type starter solenoids also have a manual actuation button on the bottom that makes it easy to jog the engine over for tune-ups.

Shortening your existing driveshaft sounds good.  However, most of my Studebaker shop manuals show that transmissions of that era had a slip joint in the driveshaft for standard 3-speed transmissions but used a slip joint in the transmission yoke for overdrive units.  You need one or the other but not both.

OD_wiring1_sm.png

overdrive_xmember_sm.jpg

m5_dash_knobs.jpg

od_relay&resistor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:47 AM, ellagee said:

I have a T84 G transmission....I'm hoping that will work

That's what the early Champions had.  I'll be removing my '39 OD to do the 1940 poppet improvement in a month.   If you need pictures or information, I can provide same when I pull the transmission out.

016.JPG