1949 Buick s50 rear axle (or parts)

Wilf Sedanet

Looking for a '49 Buick rear axle or the worn parts in it. 

The axle I have in my '49 Buick series 50 with Dynaflow has worn out ring & pinion and to replace it I would need:

- Ring & pinion in new or (very) good condition - mine sings and has play
- The rivets used to attach the ring
- The locking pin that goes into the pinion shaft at the torque tube side
- Pinion shaft shims

Or as said a decent axle for a Dynaflow with everything complete in it.

Pinion specs: 11 teeth, #1338453, stamped with a big 30 next to where it says 49.11 GM
Ring specs: 49 teeth, #1328610

Bobs automobilia has a set for series 50 from 40 to 48 with different #'s so my guess that won't fit...?

I live overseas but have shipped countless parts across the pond many times before and I even got an address in the US that I can use for parts that can only be shipped by container.

My knowledge is not exhaustive on this subject, but I believe that the crown and pinions from 40 to 55 are basically interchangeable. I recently changed the ones in my '41 Roadmaster from the factory supplied 3.9 ratio, to a set out of a '55 Century that are 3.4, for the taller ratio. Everything fit, a bit of a job though. Depending on your driving and where you live, you could consider a taller ratio for your car, you'll lose a bit of low speed pulling power, but will have more comfortable highway driving.

So the one that Bob's has, should fit, but you would have to decide if the ratio is one you want for your car. The post war Dynaflow cars usually have a taller ratio.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks a bunch! The ratio now is 4.54 which gives it some pickup & go (very relative with the Dynaflow) but isn’t very economical nor easy on our Dutch highways. The set on Bobs is the same ratio but because it clearly talks about 40-48 I didn’t dare take the risk (the price is high and shipping + VAT will more than double the costs). Now you’ve given me some feedback I’m considering it though…

Where can one get the rivets to fasten the crown (which I called the ring earlier)?

Wilf, I have all the guts of a rear-end from a 1950 Special with the dyna-flo. 3rd member has new pinion bearings and seal, carrier bearings are good so did not replace them, ratio is 3.6, 47-13, have the spider gears and shaft, and the axels, all threaded holes are good would like to sell it all.  I`ll get it out of storage and post or PM you pictures..  Tom

Hi Tom, that sounds good! I think the engine should be torquey enough to overcome the difference. Looking forward to the pictures. 

Ben: do you have a manual or Dynaflow? The only hesitation I would have is if the Dynaflow can cope with the extra load and heat - it has no gears, only a ‘final drive’ and slippage. That means that in stop & go it would have to work a lot harder, right?

Wilf, my `36 coupe 40 series project has the 4.44:1 ratio, pics show the overdrive unit. I`ve also decided to use a `41 super 248 engine instead of the stock 233 which both have been completely rebuilt. I`m in the process of putting the `36 flywheel, bell-housing, clutch assembly, transmission, and front mount on the 248 so it will fit in the `36 and also had to mill the intake manifold so the carbs will be level. I plan to sell the 233 engine and the `41 transmission, bell-housing, flywheel, clutch assembly, the complete manual set-up.. Tom

DSCN4145.JPG

DSCN4152.JPG

DSCN3334.JPG

DSCN3459.JPG

DSCN3185.JPG

DSCN3187.JPG

DSCN3199.JPG

• Like 1