63 Riv trunk prep for new trunk kit install

Turbinator

On 9/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, Seafoam65 said:

I did not glue the material down to the wheel wells on my car and it stays in place just fine.  I put vinyl trunk lining material on my trunk floor

followed by the cloth lining. this was to prevent tar stains from getting on the cloth material from the trunk floor. You can buy the vinyl trunk lining kit precut

for your Riviera and install it and put the cloth lining on top of it. That's what I did on my car.

DSCN0099.JPG

Mr. Seafoam, do you where I can get the buttons and clips for my cardboard around the trunk hinge and where the boards go to get her near the wheel Wells?

they seem to be hard for me to find. Thank you and please advise.

Red Riviera Bob

On 9/28/2017 at 9:01 PM, jframe said:

All I did with my 65 was scuff it all with a Scotchbrite pad, and then fogged it with rattle can Arctic White to match the car. My material is from SMS Fabric, which a friend rough cut out for me, and my girlfriend finished out for me. The cardboard holds the wheelwells plenty tight, and I used 3 or 4 layers of burlap as a backing on the trunk floor. Spray glued it to the back of the lining.

20170914_201646.jpg

JFrame, where did you get your buttons and clips for your side boards? Thank you- Red Riviera Bob

got the " Southern Blood" and knew two songs right off the bat. ' Willin" Linda Ronstadt covered and " I Love the Life I live" covered by Musdy Waters and written by Willie Dixon.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 11:28 AM, jframe said:

I went with the Clark's kit on my cardboard, and couldn't be happier.

Yes, Sir, smart move. Jenkins Interiors is doing ALL the right things to make the boards over and give me proper refund credit. In view of a mistake he really is doing good to make it right.

REDRiviera Bob

42 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

JFrame, where did you get your buttons and clips for your side boards? Thank you- Red Riviera Bob

got the " Southern Blood" and knew two songs right off the bat. ' Willin" Linda Ronstadt covered and " I Love the Life I live" covered by Musdy Waters and written by Willie Dixon.

The button on the right side is factory stock. The one on the left I found in my parts department at work. Just a simple push pin like so many cars use today, as is the one in the rear on top of the cardboard. On the side of the trunk latch, I used a small sheetmetal screw to hold the cardboard to the latch. Couldn't find the right size push pin. I went back and painted the push pins with model paint to give them a grayish appearance.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:58 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, did the kit fromJenkins just consist of the material or are the pieces precut with a pre assembled spare tire cover? Please

post a picture of the finished trunk when you get it done. I agree you can't beat Seafood...... uh.... Seafoam Green!

Mr. Seafoam, The Jenkins package was complete with precut vinyl,covered boards, great material for the liner, etc. The materials were first Class. The boards were from another pattern Buick sent by mistake. Jenkins is making good on making the boards fit as required. Great people to work with in view of the mistake. Generous refund and shipping from Jenkins is to be noted.

When everything is corrected I post the pics.

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, RivNut said:

http://clients.automanager.com/scripts/VehiclePhotos.aspx?VID=d1bbd157f2a2a548ac17f1edf129faae

https://www.google.com/search?q=63+Buick+Riviera+trunk&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzNfTuOvWAhVFNSYKHUx0C3IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=vxzfBckEZ5HPjM:

"Google" 1963 Buick Riviera trunk and click on the images tab.  You can pick out the factory correct trunks from the customs.

On the kit that you installed, there's no "slot" in the cardboard for the jack.  It also appears that the lip on the side cardboard extends too far over the wheelwell.  There's also no provision for the snap in buttons to attach the cardboard to the bulkheads.

Curiously, from whom did you purchase this kit?  Whoever it was didn't do their homework very well.  

Look at a bunch of pictures. The two I posted were easy to find and close to correct.  If possible, find pictures of a trunk that has NOT been restored.

Thanks Ed. I used the pics to show Jenkins the difference. Great people to work with at Jenkins.

Red Riviera Bob

• 2 months later...

Clark's got the originals from my '64 Riv. many yrs. ago. I know they are the originals as I'm the original owner of my '64. They even returned my originals with NO damage after they were copied. Same with the rear package tray, proper foam, listing wire, original manufacturer of the foam in Wash. state, original patterns for seats, etc.

Thank you. Clark’s Have first rate products. I refitted my interior with upholstery from Clark’s. I was truly satisfied with the results. My trunk kit came from Jenkins Interiors in NC. Jenkins offered a kit with vinyl applied to the trunk boards. I thought the gray vinyl was a good thing to have on the boards as I believe it may be easier to keep clean.

i appreciate your input.

Red Riviera Bob