63 Riv trunk prep for new trunk kit install

Turbinator

Gents, I have removed the original trunk lining and gray cardboard from my 63 Riv trunk. I want to know if someone can indicate what level of surface prep of the trunkmetal surface is required so the new trunk kit adhesive will stick. Does the trunk floor and other trunk surfaces need to be cleaned to near bare metal? 

I know the surface has to be clean of loose debris, soil, grease, oil, and gasoline. Does every spec of tar, foam, and glue be removed from the surface of the trunk? So far I've scraped and used a surface grinder with wire cup brush to remove the debris. Additionally, I used Berkible 2+2 gum cutter to clean the surface.

Suggestions regarding the level of surface prep needed to get the best adhesion for the trunk kit is appreciated.

Thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gents, I have removed the original trunk lining and gray cardboard from my 63 Riv trunk. I want to know if someone can indicate what level of surface prep of the trunkmetal surface is required so the new trunk kit adhesive will stick. Does the trunk floor and other trunk surfaces need to be cleaned to near bare metal? 

I know the surface has to be clean of loose debris, soil, grease, oil, and gasoline. Does every spec of tar, foam, and glue be removed from the surface of the trunk? So far I've scraped and used a surface grinder with wire cup brush to remove the debris. Additionally, I used Berkible 2+2 gum cutter to clean the surface.

Suggestions regarding the level of surface prep needed to get the best adhesion for the trunk kit is appreciated.

Thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

Bob, 

The only place I needed to put adhesive was on the wheel wells. I scraped, cleaned and degreased as much as I could on the wheel wells and put on the adhesive. They have stayed in place just fine. You don't have to get every last bit off and certainly don't need to get down to bare metal. The rest is held in place by the cardboard, the spare and gravity. The other areas I scraped and cleaned again as much as I could and laid the material down. I did put a very thin rubber sheet under these areas to prevent any possible leaching of any contaminants I happened to miss. I think the rubber sheet helps keep things in place as well. So far everything is intact and in place.

Bill  

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
correct error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All I did with my 65 was scuff it all with a Scotchbrite pad, and then fogged it with rattle can Arctic White to match the car. My material is from SMS Fabric, which a friend rough cut out for me, and my girlfriend finished out for me. The cardboard holds the wheelwells plenty tight, and I used 3 or 4 layers of burlap as a backing on the trunk floor. Spray glued it to the back of the lining.

20170914_201646.jpg

Bill, thank you for the written answer. Now I have the complete picture of what to do. Your installation looks great. The use of the rubber sheeting is an excellent idea to keep the bad stuff out. The Arctic White is impressive.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Red Riviera Bob

PS. When I finish I'll be sure to send you a picture of how my job went. I must admit I am having someone do the installation for me. I genuinely cannot work with shapes that have to be folded and formed to fit in another space. Square and rectangle shapes are not a problem for me, but the odd shaped stuff is truly a puzzle I cannot solve.

3 hours ago, jframe said:

All I did with my 65 was scuff it all with a Scotchbrite pad, and then fogged it with rattle can Arctic White to match the car. My material is from SMS Fabric, which a friend rough cut out for me, and my girlfriend finished out for me. The cardboard holds the wheelwells plenty tight, and I used 3 or 4 layers of burlap as a backing on the trunk floor. Spray glued it to the back of the lining.

20170914_201646.jpg

JFrame, the job looks real good to me. I do not know how it could be installed any better. Good idea to use the burlap as a backing to the fabric. It never occured to me to have the fabric glued! I was only thinking of putting the glue on the metal floor. Now I am having some one else do the installation. Fabric and other materials with odd shapes are a real puzzle for me to handle and install the material in a proper fashion.

J thanks again for your help. The installation turned out real good, excellent!

Thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

I did not glue the material down to the wheel wells on my car and it stays in place just fine.  I put vinyl trunk lining material on my trunk floor

followed by the cloth lining. this was to prevent tar stains from getting on the cloth material from the trunk floor. You can buy the vinyl trunk lining kit precut

for your Riviera and install it and put the cloth lining on top of it. That's what I did on my car.

DSCN0099.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I did not glue the material down to the wheel wells on my car and it stays in place just fine.  I put vinyl trunk lining material on my trunk floor

followed by the cloth lining. this was to prevent tar stains from getting on the cloth material from the trunk floor. You can buy the vinyl trunk lining kit precut

for your Riviera and install it and put the cloth lining on top of it. That's what I did on my car.

DSCN0099.JPG

Mr Seafood, anything with fabric, I mean anything I leave it up to someone else. Squares and rectangles of material I can handle ok, but anything past that I flunk. Yes, I know it's easy, but we have our weaknesses and patterns and fabric is where I score real low. I have the picture and the explanation is clear and concise. I bought a kit from Jenkins Interior and his stuff looks real good. I'm having an upholsterer put it in.

I cleaned most of the tar and glue in my trunk down to the bare metal. Then I used a cloth with Simple Green? cleaner and wiped up the metal real good. That should be clean enough from what you have indicated. Your Seafood color on the 65 looks real good. Softer color tones are my favorite. I'm learning to like Red. Thanks again for your help and the picture!

Red Riviera Bob

21 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I cleaned most of the tar and glue in my trunk down to the bare metal.

Wasn't your trunk floor painted?  Grante,d I haven't pulled up all of the covering from mine, but I did peel back a section (to remove a tool left there at the factory), and that part was sprayed blue.  I can't imagine that they would have bare metal under the fabric.  Even if it wasn't sprayed with the exterior color (as at least part of mine was), it must have been sprayed with something.

Mr. KongaMan, yes the trunk floor was painted red. Red is the exterior color of my 63.  I just pulled everything out of the trunk and got busy with a handheld grinder fitted with a wire cup brush. I worked some of the flooring in the trunk to shiny metal.

BTW, I found 3 Lisle drip pans for the garage on the internet. If what they describe is accurate the 3 pans were a bargain.

6 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, did the kit fromJenkins just consist of the material or are the pieces precut with a pre assembled spare tire cover? Please

post a picture of the finished trunk when you get it done. I agree you can't beat Seafood...... uh.... Seafoam Green!

Seafoam, the Jenkins kit has all the pieces pre cut, the underlament piece is sewn to the top piece.the " boards came with the gray vinyl Already to go. The tire cover came sewn, ready to mount. I'll send some pics b4 aNd after.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:58 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, did the kit fromJenkins just consist of the material or are the pieces precut with a pre assembled spare tire cover? Please

post a picture of the finished trunk when you get it done. I agree you can't beat Seafood...... uh.... Seafoam Green!

Mr SeafOAM, I got it right.... here are the pics of the pieces of the kit Jenkins sent. The gray cardboard was covered with gray vinyl. I ordered the 1/2 tire cover.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

On 9/28/2017 at 8:31 PM, Riviera63 said:

Bob, 

The only place I needed to put adhesive was on the wheel wells. I scraped, cleaned and degreased as much as I could on the wheel wells and put on the adhesive. They have stayed in place just fine. You don't have to get every last bit off and certainly don't need to get down to bare metal. The rest is held in place by the cardboard, the spare and gravity. The other areas I scraped and cleaned again as much as I could and laid the material down. I did put a very thin rubber sheet under these areas to prevent any possible leaching of any contaminants I happened to miss. I think the rubber sheet helps keep things in place as well. So far everything is intact and in place.

Bill  

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

Bill, here is what I did to clean it up..

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Is there a catalog available for Jenkins, or a decent website?  The one I found doesn't have much information.  

Zimm, initially I purchased all the stuff I needed for upholstery, weather stripping, buttons, POR 15, etc. from Clark's Corvair. They are a good company with good product and excellent customer service.

i went to Jenkins purely based on a professional in the sales of original parts for Riv 63-65 recommendation. I was satisfied with the pics I saw and since I was getting a trunk kit it was a simple buy as I was getting a reproduction of the original. My estimate was I saved $112.00 AND Jenkins covered the cardboard liners with vinyl for the same price. The kit I received was all there. The majority of the cost was in the labor and of course profit. ( I can't figure out patterns well)That is why I'm having a pro upholsterer put the stuff. My cost with shipping to inc. the half tire cover came to $468.00. Call Hill and tell what you want and he will quote you. His only method for payment is by check. I will use him again.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bill, thank you for the written answer. Now I have the complete picture of what to do. Your installation looks great. The use of the rubber sheeting is an excellent idea to keep the bad stuff out. The Arctic White is impressive.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Red Riviera Bob

PS. When I finish I'll be sure to send you a picture of how my job went. I must admit I am having someone do the installation for me. I genuinely cannot work with shapes that have to be folded and formed to fit in another space. Square and rectangle shapes are not a problem for me, but the odd shaped stuff is truly a puzzle I cannot solve.

Bob,

Thanks for the compliments. You are fortunate as your trunk looks very solid and rust free. Your trunk prep looks great. I can't wait to see how it turns out, so please do send a picture. 

Bill

On 9/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, Riviera63 said:

The only place I needed to put adhesive was on the wheel wells. I scraped, cleaned and degreased as much as I could on the wheel wells and put on the adhesive. They have stayed in place just fine. You don't have to get every last bit off and certainly don't need to get down to bare metal. The rest is held in place by the cardboard, the spare and gravity.

I've always found it helpful to weight down the liner with a couple of cases of beer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

Thanks for the compliments. You are fortunate as your trunk looks very solid and rust free. Your trunk prep looks great. I can't wait to see how it turns out, so please do send a picture. 

Bill

Bill, I send a pic for sure.

On 10/2/2017 at 5:36 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Zimm, initially I purchased all the stuff I needed for upholstery, weather stripping, buttons, POR 15, etc. from Clark's Corvair. They are a good company with good product and excellent customer service.

i went to Jenkins purely based on a professional in the sales of original parts for Riv 63-65 recommendation. I was satisfied with the pics I saw and since I was getting a trunk kit it was a simple buy as I was getting a reproduction of the original. My estimate was I saved $112.00 AND Jenkins covered the cardboard liners with vinyl for the same price. The kit I received was all there. The majority of the cost was in the labor and of course profit. ( I can't figure out patterns well)That is why I'm having a pro upholsterer put the stuff. My cost with shipping to inc. the half tire cover came to $468.00. Call Hill and tell what you want and he will quote you. His only method for payment is by check. I will use him again.

Thanks.  I got my seat covers from Clark's and am looking forward to installing them.  

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

Thanks.  I got my seat covers from Clark's and am looking forward to installing them.  

Zimm, I bought my seat covers from Clarks and was satisfied. One exception 3 button covers came off the buttons. Clark's replaced them, but the covers kept coming off. I actually made my own buttons so the cover won't come off.

Ref Riviera Bob

On 10/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bill, I send a pic for sure.

Bill, I have an appt. to get the kit installed on Oct 11. I have mentioned in some other threads there are some things I don't do ( very few). One of the things I don't do is upholstery- no matter how simple. I'm in hopes the job goes as well as other jobs the shop I'm using has done for me before.

Red Riviera Bob

Yeah, I think the boards need a bit of tweaking, but that material is the bomb. Looks really good in there! At the back, I would probably tuck the material under the cardboard that goes across the back panel.

1 hour ago, jframe said:

Yeah, I think the boards need a bit of tweaking, but that material is the bomb. Looks really good in there! At the back, I would probably tuck the material under the cardboard that goes across the back panel.

JFrame, once knew one heck of a guitarist from Florence Alabama. The guitarist moved up to Pittsburgh PA and played with the Billy Price Band. I forgot the boy's name, as I can hardly remember my children's middle names Ha! (Just a joke )

Thank you for your suggestions as I was thinking the same thing about the side boards. Take the side boards and tuck them under the wheel well cover. To make sure I understand, do mean tuck the material under the boards surrounding the trunk lock area? ( you referee to as the "back panel" ?

Appreciate the compliment on the material. I'm satisfied with the quality of the goods. I'm not sure it is fitting OR was fitted the way it is suppose to fit. ( no joke, I have hard time figuring out how to put on a fitted bed sheet!)

'Red Riviera Bob

http://clients.automanager.com/scripts/VehiclePhotos.aspx?VID=d1bbd157f2a2a548ac17f1edf129faae

https://www.google.com/search?q=63+Buick+Riviera+trunk&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzNfTuOvWAhVFNSYKHUx0C3IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=vxzfBckEZ5HPjM:

"Google" 1963 Buick Riviera trunk and click on the images tab.  You can pick out the factory correct trunks from the customs.

On the kit that you installed, there's no "slot" in the cardboard for the jack.  It also appears that the lip on the side cardboard extends too far over the wheelwell.  There's also no provision for the snap in buttons to attach the cardboard to the bulkheads.

Curiously, from whom did you purchase this kit?  Whoever it was didn't do their homework very well.  

Look at a bunch of pictures. The two I posted were easy to find and close to correct.  If possible, find pictures of a trunk that has NOT been restored.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

http://clients.automanager.com/scripts/VehiclePhotos.aspx?VID=d1bbd157f2a2a548ac17f1edf129faae

https://www.google.com/search?q=63+Buick+Riviera+trunk&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzNfTuOvWAhVFNSYKHUx0C3IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=vxzfBckEZ5HPjM:

"Google" 1963 Buick Riviera trunk and click on the images tab.  You can pick out the factory correct trunks from the customs.

On the kit that you installed, there's no "slot" in the cardboard for the jack.  It also appears that the lip on the side cardboard extends too far over the wheelwell.  There's also no provision for the snap in buttons to attach the cardboard to the bulkheads.

Curiously, from whom did you purchase this kit?  Whoever it was didn't do their homework very well.  

Look at a bunch of pictures. The two I posted were easy to find and close to correct.  If possible, find pictures of a trunk that has NOT been restored.

Ed, it appears I was neglectful of my homework.i was going to buy the kit from Clark’s. Gene said go to Jenkins Interiors in NC. The founder has passed away and the son has taken over. Gene was probably remembering what the founder turned out.i believe with some more work and not too much more money I can get the installation close to right. I’m not fixing the car for shows, but I do want the goods as advertised and for what I paid. Hopefully, the seller will be happy to make it right. Ed, as always.

many thankd

RED Riviera Bob

BTW, shining up cast aluminum wheel covers is a l o t of sanding. I mean a lot of sanding with a 2” orbital air sander takes time.

47 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

BTW, shining up cast aluminum wheel covers is a l o t of sanding. I mean a lot of sanding with a 2” orbital air sander takes time.

I'm refinishing some aluminum strips on my boat.  My compressor is having a hard time keeping up with that little air grinder that I'm usiing with some twist-lock scotch brite pads. I know what you mean. :D

2 minutes ago, jframe said:

Yep, tuck the material under those boards around the trunk lock. Florence and Muscle Shoals have turned out just a few good muscians! :)

A few! I could go on,But, this not forum for what came out of those studios. I don't have to say any more....you know.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'm refinishing some aluminum strips on my boat.  My compressor is having a hard time keeping up with that little air grinder that I'm usiing with some twist-lock scotch brite pads. I know what you mean. :D

Patience, persistence, resilience will get you closer toward your goal. A lazy  person with many talents can't keep up with the guy who plods along with a goal.

RRB

22 minutes ago, jframe said:

I went with the Clark's kit on my cardboard, and couldn't be happier.

JFrame, now I wish I had gone to Clark's. Clark's were my first choice, but I went in the wrong direction. Fortunately, for the times I've gone in the wrong direction I have not lost too much.

Hopefully, the seller will be reasonable and make good on my requests for correction. I'm not a perfectionist, but I want it right as humanly possible.

thank you for your input.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Riviera said:

Jenkins has  material that is very close to original . I dont know how much they have left so get your order in if needed . I have no connection with Jenkins . I do not know anything about the cardboard .

Jenkins Interiors original owner has passed away. The son now runs the operation. Could have been someone pulled the wrong items out of inventory that had already been  made up.

i feel optimistic Mr Jenkins will make good on his offering. 

'Thank you for your input.

Red Riviera Bob

23 hours ago, Mr Riviera said:

Jenkins has  material that is very close to original . I dont know how much they have left so get your order in if needed . I have no connection with Jenkins . I do not know anything about the cardboard .

Mr. Riviera, Hill Jenkins needed a tab bit of persuasive direction on what was period correct was for the cardboards. The story is long and boring, but inthe end Jenkins Interiors is going to do a " do over" of all the period boards and send them at his expense. A bit unusual in today's climate of business attitudes toward the customer. 

Mr. Riviera, what is really neat is the amount of first rate assistance delivered in a first class manner from the members in the ROA. 

I've been a member of the ROA for about 16 months or so and every piece of information I've received from the members has been outstanding.

Thank you for your help.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Patience, persistence, resilience will get you closer toward your goal. A lazy  person with many talents can't keep up with the guy who plods along with a goal.

RRB

Ed, finally caved in and bought a 60 gallon 2 stage single phase Quincy  230v air compressor. The pancake compressor I was using was driving me crazy. I borrowed a portable higher capacity compressor from my son in law and it was better, but not what I wanted.

RRB