Red Riviera Bob

63 Riv trunk prep for new trunk kit install

http://clients.automanager.com/scripts/VehiclePhotos.aspx?VID=d1bbd157f2a2a548ac17f1edf129faae

https://www.google.com/search?q=63+Buick+Riviera+trunk&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzNfTuOvWAhVFNSYKHUx0C3IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=vxzfBckEZ5HPjM:

"Google" 1963 Buick Riviera trunk and click on the images tab.  You can pick out the factory correct trunks from the customs.

On the kit that you installed, there's no "slot" in the cardboard for the jack.  It also appears that the lip on the side cardboard extends too far over the wheelwell.  There's also no provision for the snap in buttons to attach the cardboard to the bulkheads.

Curiously, from whom did you purchase this kit?  Whoever it was didn't do their homework very well.  

Look at a bunch of pictures. The two I posted were easy to find and close to correct.  If possible, find pictures of a trunk that has NOT been restored.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

http://clients.automanager.com/scripts/VehiclePhotos.aspx?VID=d1bbd157f2a2a548ac17f1edf129faae

https://www.google.com/search?q=63+Buick+Riviera+trunk&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzNfTuOvWAhVFNSYKHUx0C3IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=vxzfBckEZ5HPjM:

"Google" 1963 Buick Riviera trunk and click on the images tab.  You can pick out the factory correct trunks from the customs.

On the kit that you installed, there's no "slot" in the cardboard for the jack.  It also appears that the lip on the side cardboard extends too far over the wheelwell.  There's also no provision for the snap in buttons to attach the cardboard to the bulkheads.

Curiously, from whom did you purchase this kit?  Whoever it was didn't do their homework very well.  

Look at a bunch of pictures. The two I posted were easy to find and close to correct.  If possible, find pictures of a trunk that has NOT been restored.

Ed, it appears I was neglectful of my homework.i was going to buy the kit from Clark’s. Gene said go to Jenkins Interiors in NC. The founder has passed away and the son has taken over. Gene was probably remembering what the founder turned out.i believe with some more work and not too much more money I can get the installation close to right. I’m not fixing the car for shows, but I do want the goods as advertised and for what I paid. Hopefully, the seller will be happy to make it right. Ed, as always.

many thankd

RED Riviera Bob

BTW, shining up cast aluminum wheel covers is a l o t of sanding. I mean a lot of sanding with a 2” orbital air sander takes time.

Yep, tuck the material under those boards around the trunk lock. Florence and Muscle Shoals have turned out just a few good muscians! :)

47 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

BTW, shining up cast aluminum wheel covers is a l o t of sanding. I mean a lot of sanding with a 2” orbital air sander takes time.

I'm refinishing some aluminum strips on my boat.  My compressor is having a hard time keeping up with that little air grinder that I'm usiing with some twist-lock scotch brite pads. I know what you mean. :D

2 minutes ago, jframe said:

Yep, tuck the material under those boards around the trunk lock. Florence and Muscle Shoals have turned out just a few good muscians! :)

A few! I could go on,But, this not forum for what came out of those studios. I don't have to say any more....you know.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'm refinishing some aluminum strips on my boat.  My compressor is having a hard time keeping up with that little air grinder that I'm usiing with some twist-lock scotch brite pads. I know what you mean. :D

Patience, persistence, resilience will get you closer toward your goal. A lazy  person with many talents can't keep up with the guy who plods along with a goal.

RRB

Jenkins has  material that is very close to original . I dont know how much they have left so get your order in if needed . I have no connection with Jenkins . I do not know anything about the cardboard .

22 minutes ago, jframe said:

I went with the Clark's kit on my cardboard, and couldn't be happier.

JFrame, now I wish I had gone to Clark's. Clark's were my first choice, but I went in the wrong direction. Fortunately, for the times I've gone in the wrong direction I have not lost too much.

Hopefully, the seller will be reasonable and make good on my requests for correction. I'm not a perfectionist, but I want it right as humanly possible.

thank you for your input.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Riviera said:

Jenkins has  material that is very close to original . I dont know how much they have left so get your order in if needed . I have no connection with Jenkins . I do not know anything about the cardboard .

Jenkins Interiors original owner has passed away. The son now runs the operation. Could have been someone pulled the wrong items out of inventory that had already been  made up.

i feel optimistic Mr Jenkins will make good on his offering. 

'Thank you for your input.

Red Riviera Bob

19 hours ago, PWB said:

Now that's a sharp trunk.

I'd sneak in the drive-in in class.

Thank you Sir, a little adjustment here and there will make it a bit sharper.

thank you for your compliment.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr Riviera said:

Mr. Riviera, Hill Jenkins needed a tab bit of persuasive direction on what was period correct was for the cardboards. The story is long and boring, but inthe end Jenkins Interiors is going to do a " do over" of all the period boards and send them at his expense. A bit unusual in today's climate of business attitudes toward the customer. 

Mr. Riviera, what is really neat is the amount of first rate assistance delivered in a first class manner from the members in the ROA. 

I've been a member of the ROA for about 16 months or so and every piece of information I've received from the members has been outstanding.

Thank you for your help.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, Zimm63 said:

Thanks.  I got my seat covers from Clark's and am looking forward to installing them.  

Smart move. Wished I had stayed with  my first choice, Clark”s.

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Patience, persistence, resilience will get you closer toward your goal. A lazy  person with many talents can't keep up with the guy who plods along with a goal.

RRB

Ed, finally caved in and bought a 60 gallon 2 stage single phase Quincy  230v air compressor. The pancake compressor I was using was driving me crazy. I borrowed a portable higher capacity compressor from my son in law and it was better, but not what I wanted.

RRB

On 9/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, Seafoam65 said:

I did not glue the material down to the wheel wells on my car and it stays in place just fine.  I put vinyl trunk lining material on my trunk floor

followed by the cloth lining. this was to prevent tar stains from getting on the cloth material from the trunk floor. You can buy the vinyl trunk lining kit precut

for your Riviera and install it and put the cloth lining on top of it. That's what I did on my car.

DSCN0099.JPG

Mr. Seafoam, do you where I can get the buttons and clips for my cardboard around the trunk hinge and where the boards go to get her near the wheel Wells?

they seem to be hard for me to find. Thank you and please advise.

Red Riviera Bob

On 9/28/2017 at 9:01 PM, jframe said:

All I did with my 65 was scuff it all with a Scotchbrite pad, and then fogged it with rattle can Arctic White to match the car. My material is from SMS Fabric, which a friend rough cut out for me, and my girlfriend finished out for me. The cardboard holds the wheelwells plenty tight, and I used 3 or 4 layers of burlap as a backing on the trunk floor. Spray glued it to the back of the lining.

20170914_201646.jpg

JFrame, where did you get your buttons and clips for your side boards? Thank you- Red Riviera Bob

got the " Southern Blood" and knew two songs right off the bat. ' Willin" Linda Ronstadt covered and " I Love the Life I live" covered by Musdy Waters and written by Willie Dixon.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 11:28 AM, jframe said:

I went with the Clark's kit on my cardboard, and couldn't be happier.

Yes, Sir, smart move. Jenkins Interiors is doing ALL the right things to make the boards over and give me proper refund credit. In view of a mistake he really is doing good to make it right.

REDRiviera Bob

42 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

JFrame, where did you get your buttons and clips for your side boards? Thank you- Red Riviera Bob

got the " Southern Blood" and knew two songs right off the bat. ' Willin" Linda Ronstadt covered and " I Love the Life I live" covered by Musdy Waters and written by Willie Dixon.

The button on the right side is factory stock. The one on the left I found in my parts department at work. Just a simple push pin like so many cars use today, as is the one in the rear on top of the cardboard. On the side of the trunk latch, I used a small sheetmetal screw to hold the cardboard to the latch. Couldn't find the right size push pin. I went back and painted the push pins with model paint to give them a grayish appearance.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:58 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, did the kit fromJenkins just consist of the material or are the pieces precut with a pre assembled spare tire cover? Please

post a picture of the finished trunk when you get it done. I agree you can't beat Seafood...... uh.... Seafoam Green!

Mr. Seafoam, The Jenkins package was complete with precut vinyl,covered boards, great material for the liner, etc. The materials were first Class. The boards were from another pattern Buick sent by mistake. Jenkins is making good on making the boards fit as required. Great people to work with in view of the mistake. Generous refund and shipping from Jenkins is to be noted.

When everything is corrected I post the pics.

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, RivNut said:

Thanks Ed. I used the pics to show Jenkins the difference. Great people to work with at Jenkins.

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/12/2017 at 1:58 PM, jframe said:

Got it. You have good eyes. Will do over.

RRB