Any ticking time bombs on these old Dodges?

David_Leech

Most modern cars have known weak points. VW TDI timing belts, Ford Powerstroke head gaskets, Cummins dowel pins etc. Are there any known issues on a 1928 Standard Six that NEED to be looked at or inspected when the car is a new acquisition? I'm not talking regular maintenance making sure fluids are up, belts good, brakes etc), I'm talking hidden killers like oil pump drive chains for example

I have a 32, so this is not my area of expertise.  I'm sure 28 owners will chime in and chastise my suggestion (if incorrect) but I believe the distributors on these cars had a pot metal base that trends to self-destruct over time.  Dodge Brothers were solid, well engineered automobiles that have few weak spots.

Hello David,The entire DB various models of the late 20s have what we call the Pot Meal Curse, In all reality the metal was inferior and this problem was NOT only a DB one. The  whole of the Automotive industry was affected all the way up to high end cars  The parts on the DB Fast 4, Standard, Victory and Senior that are affected are The Distributor as Taylormade  mentioned The ends of both the starter and generator and the main frame in the speedometer. This does not make the DBs a car to avoid by any means. they were a very well designed and engineered car 

Good luck with your car and I sincerely hope that you have many years of enjoyment  with it