35 Studebaker Dictator Tie Rod Ends

We need a little more info about your beautiful car.  Is it a Model 1A Dictator with solid front axle or 2A with planar suspension (transverse leaf spring)?  What's the serial number, because the part numbers changed mid-year on 2A's.  Left or right hand drive?

In a pinch, measure the taper of the ball stud (large end diameter, small end diameter, length between large and small end) and the thread size (probably 1/2" or 9/16") and stud length.  Also get the thread size length where it joins to the tie rod.  There may be ends from another car that will also fit.  Ends from 1990s Jeep Wagoneers fit my 1929 Studebaker President axle.  Moog lists some dimensions of their modern parts on their web site, but will not provide a drawing with all the dimensions nor will they tell you what else might fit due to liability concerns.  Here is a list of Moog parts by size and design:  http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_outer_tie_rod_ends.asp

You can buy reprints of the 1928-40 Master Chassis Parts Catalog from Studebaker International and other vendors.  I attached one page from the book.

tie rod ends -Dictator.png

• Thanks 1

1959 DUFOR Tie rod end catalogue. The 1A uses their part number TE52 (along with A, 3A and 5A with conventional axle). The 2A uses their part number TE53 (also 4A, 6A).

TE52 is a male thread, 11/16-18 thread, ball bolt taper 0.628-0.542, 11/16 long, with 1/2-20 thread.

TE53 is a male thread, 11/16-18 thread, ball bolt taper 0.754-0.660, 3/4 long, with 9/16-18 thread.

They don't show any change part way through the year nor any change for LHC or RHC.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Sorry I don't have any info about tie rod ends but I shared the picture with my boy and he reminded me that he has a birthday coming up in a little over 10 months if this hearse is for sale. I will agree it  is a very nice funeral coach.