Source for intermediate brake cable

fordrodsteven

Hi All, Here is a possible option for the intermediate brake cable for our Reatta's. I have been working to get a replacement Intermediate cable for my '88. Mine worked just fine but was getting near the end of the adjustment.  I contacted Inline Tube Company and they are making me a new cable. I am paying a design / setup charge in addition to buying the cable for $25.00 but the good news is that it can be bought. My contact at Inline Tube is Pete Nicotri in the marketing department (pete.nicotri@inlinetube.com). He told me that they will not be adding it to their catalog but will save the information in their files for any future orders of the intermediate cable. When I get the pertinent information (P/N, methods of payment, where to purchase) I will come back and add it to this thread. Their website says all orders ship within 24 hours. They sell on-line direct or on Amazon and Ebay. That's it for now. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this somewhat valuable information.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have the cable housing and broken cable (rusted out) that I removed a few years back if that will help them in their efforts.  This is great news as the one I got from Jim to fix my Reatta (required to operate and hold in TX to pass inspection) is getting near the end of its adjustment as well, so I WILL be buying one of these from Inline once they have the part ready to sell

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)

Steve....if the only problem with the cable is the amount of adjustment remaining, it can be solved in other ways.

The reason....the rear parking brake is supposed to automatically adjust if used on a regular basis AND the adjustment inside the rear piston is not gummed up and fails to adjust.

Some of the options...

(1) replace the calipers...they will have working adjustment.

(2) replace the rear pads, that will reposition the piston and you will get the adjustment back.

(3) move the parking brake arm....this arm is attached to the screw that pushes the piston out to set the parking brake.

In the sketch below, the adjustment screw has the silver arm (second picture) attached to it...when the PB is pushed, the cable pull that silver arm, turning the adjustment screw and pushing the "T" nut and piston against the pad.

You can remove the nut from the adjustment screw (nut not show so you can see the hex) note the hex on the end of the adjustment screw...if you lift the arm and move it one hex that will shorten the travel of the "T" nut.

Technically you do not move the arm, you turn the screw one hex.

If you put on new pads at a later date, you will need to move the arm back one notch on the hex.

Thanks for letting us know about the intermediate cable as some owners need replacements because of rust.

Piston explode.jpg

parking brake arm.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, drtidmore said:

Just to make sure we are talking about the same cable, this is the one that starts about in line with the driver's seat and runs all the way to the rear where it connects to the two cables that actually activate the parking brake, correct?

Yes, Dave, That is the cable I am talking about. I sent my removed working cable to them to use for reference. I told them to make the inner cable one inch shorter because mine is stretched to almost the end of adjustment.

6 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Are you guys talking about THIS?

Yes, A few years ago I bought the Wagner cable (P/N BC129671) Then Machiner55 was looking for one so I sold him mine because I got the old cable working on my car. Now here I am a few years later looking for the cable. I think I bought the last one in the country a few years ago! :P I see the listing you attached also lists the alternate parts from other manufacturers.... Also NOT available.

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Steve....if the only problem with the cable is the amount of adjustment remaining, it can be solved in other ways.

The reason....the rear parking brake is supposed to automatically adjust if used on a regular basis AND the adjustment inside the rear piston is not gummed up and fails to adjust.

Some of the options...

(1) replace the calipers...they will have working adjustment.

(2) replace the rear pads, that will reposition the piston and you will get the adjustment back.

(3) move the parking brake arm....this arm is attached to the screw that pushes the piston out to set the parking brake.

In the sketch below, the adjustment screw has the silver arm (second picture) attached to it...when the PB is pushed, the cable pull that silver arm, turning the adjustment screw and pushing the "T" nut and piston against the pad.

You can remove the nut from the adjustment screw (nut not show so you can see the hex) note the hex on the end of the adjustment screw...if you lift the arm and move it one hex that will shorten the travel of the "T" nut.

Technically you do not move the arm, you turn the screw one hex.

If you put on new pads at a later date, you will need to move the arm back one notch on the hex.

Thanks for letting us know about the intermediate cable as some owners need replacements because of rust.

Piston explode.jpg

parking brake arm.jpg

Thank you Barney, I put all new brakes (pads, calipers and rear brake cables) on the car two years ago when I changed out the whole rear end assembly. My parking brake was working okay but I decided recently to change it because I was near the end of adjustment. I had already done much research regarding the intermediate cable and still was not able to locate a new one for over a year. I know I could have bought a used part but I preferred to try to get a new cable.

I even purchased and tried a cable for an Allante -  it didn't work. It was a little too long and wouldn't pull the brakes correctly.

Anyway. I ordered the cable today from Inline Tube. The cost is $100.00. The price he quoted me for $25.00 was just the inner wire cable with both ends. I called him and asked if he was serious. He said they sell just cables for other cars all the time. I explained that it is an assembly the cannot be taken apart unless I have some way to attach one end to a bare wire cable in my garage. I told him I want the assembly as a whole complete working unit. The final $100 price is the cable with outer casing and ready to put on the car....according to him. We will see when I get it. I will come back to this thread with the update when I have the cable in-hand and put it on the car.

I hope you have better luck with them than I did..........they listed a stainless fuel line for 140 hp Corvair 4 carb engine, I ordered it, of the 6 pieces of line required, I got 4 that would work and one of them was a duplicate (did not need 2 of that piece)

Sent them pictures of what I received and pictures of the stock parts. After waiting weeks and my contact quitting, I started over and finally got the pieces I needed. At one point they quoted me a price to get the correct parts...I ask why I should pay for parts that I should have already received and paid for.  They may be a good company but totally disorganized from my point of view.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I hope you have better luck with them than I did..........they listed a stainless fuel line for 140 hp Corvair 4 carb engine, I ordered it, of the 6 pieces of line required, I got 4 that would work and one of them was a duplicate (did not need 2 of that piece)

Sent them pictures of what I received and pictures of the stock parts. After waiting weeks and my contact quitting, I started over and finally got the pieces I needed. At one point they quoted me a price to get the correct parts...I ask why I should pay for parts that I should have already received and paid for.  They may be a good company but totally disorganized from my point of view.

Barney..... You're scaring me!!! :lol:. I told them I want my old cable returned to me just in case they did something incorrect with the one they are manufacturing. I even sent them a return FedEx label when I sent them my cable.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Barney Eaton said:

Sorry......I was disappointed with their service....once I got the correct parts they were fine. Good news was I had other things to work on while waiting on them,

I can't say whether Inline Tube service is good or not thanks to FedEx. They lost my package that contained BOTH the old cable and the new cable. They tell me it's a holiday weekend and cannot begin investigation until Tuesday! The tracker says it was left on my front porch at 1 in the afternoon on Friday. I was sitting right here at the computer (which is near the front door) and I am 100% certain no-one was anywhere near my front door except me and my cat who walked by twice. I was on the phone with them by 3 and they certainly were NOT helpful. I'm sure they have GPS and some way to connect with the driver. I asked them to contact the driver to ask him where he might have left my box. I guess they have to follow certain procedures that do not include actually contacting the driver while he is still close to where the infraction occurred. Oh well! I hope my package finds its way home to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....I got my two cables after the Memorial day holiday as promised. I opened it up. The cable they made had an incorrect end assembled at the aft end of the outer casing. I returned the cable to them for repair. I sent them an Allante cable the second time. I was not about to possibly lose my original cable again!. They fixed the end on the outer casing and sent the cables back to me. I got them yesterday afternoon. I decided today to put the cable on the car and ran into another problem. They installed a 5/16-18 threaded end. The original is M8-1.25 threads. So I could not thread on the captured adjusting nut in the front equalizer. I sent them an E-mail. Maybe it can be made correctly on their third try. They have issued a part number but I'm afraid to share it at this time. If they can get it right I will then share the part number. It looks like the cost will be $100. I will update when I know more.

brake cable fwd.JPG

I appreciate your efforts on this. When (if?) it is satisfactorily resolved, please post the part number as I'd be interested  in getting one (or more), assuming they can get it right. On that note,  I marvel at the sheer incompetence exhibited in this episode. Shipping screw ups, multiple mismade assemblies, I do wonder how so many errors can be made on one job. And this is not even anything complicated.

Clearly we've reached the stage of human endeavor where nobody gives a damn at all.  I'm getting angry just reading it, and by now would be planning unspeakable things if this were my project.

• Like 1

In my E-mail to him I told him I was pretty frustrated with the whole mess and I didn't like the incompetence. They might just tell me they are not going to fix it for me. I was pretty hot when I wrote it and you know how it is.....  just hit that "SEND" button! In the past I would have looked at it for a couple hours before sending (probably with a few edits and rewrites) LOL

• Like 1

FYI. When I sent the original Reatta cable in the beginning they called me. They said one end is missing the locking fingers. I told him that it was supposed to be that way and that the equalizer hooked on there. They made the cable and sent it (with my original) in the same package. The FedEx guy delivered it to the wrong address here in town on Friday. He went and got it. He delivered it here on Wednesday. That is when I found the end with the fingers assembled onto the new cable. I called there three times and kept getting told the guy I needed to talk to was not available. When I called the fourth time and asked for a Return Authorization number I was all of a sudden connected to that guy who was not "available". Funny how that works, eh. I told him I would not be returning my "valuable correct original" cable but would send him an Allante cable with the equalizer attached so he could see how it assembled on the car. Now I find wrong threads on the cable they "fixed" because I didn't catch it the first time I had it in my hands. Oh well, Live and learn!

Sometimes when I think about this I could just kick myself. About three years ago I was able to procure a brand new Wagner brakes cable (BC129671). I think I got the last one in the country! I threw it on the shelf in the garage because I was able to get my original cable functioning fine. I had contact with Machiner55 (john) in Michigan and he asked if I would be willing to sell him the Wagner cable. I said "sure! no problem!". I even had another used one off a Reatta rear end that I bought to put in my car (replaced a rusted out rear end). I sold both of them to John. He seemed VERY HAPPY. Now I know why! Oh well. LOL

• Like 1

This firm MUST do "something" correctly as they are still in business, but it appears that custom stuff is a huge hit and miss, mainly miss, proposition.  Hopefully they will finally get the cable right as they could sell probably a dozen just here on the forum.  I know I would buy at least 1 if not 2, as in TX, no fully functioning parking brake, NO safety inspection blessing and NO way to renew your license plate.  

I lament that as a society, the desire to do things well and correct the first time seems to be long forgotten. 

• Like 1

^ That last sentence being a more eloquent expression of my own frustration with having noted the same. Some people (an ever decreasing number it seems) do a job well and take pride in having done so. Some do just enough to get the paycheck. And some are warm bodies occupying a chair and because of a lack of effective oversight - and concern on their own part - crank out useless garbage and still manage to get paid. This latter category is killing us as a country and yet they seem to be the dominant contingent now. Anyway, I know I'd buy a couple if a verifiably correct part can be produced out of this snafu. So, I'm  waiting to see the final outcome of all this.

• Like 1

Wow!!! I E-mailed Federal Mogul Motorparts. They are the parent corporation for Wagner Brake Parts. I asked them for price and availability for 25 cables. They sent me an E-mail with a 1-800 number to call. I called the number. They asked if I had a Federal Mogul account. I said no. They wanted the name of my business. I told them I just want to buy some cables. She said she would tell me local suppliers who sell federal Mogul parts. I said they would have to order it so why can't I just order it. I said I know for a fact that the local parts house would not have it and they would probably tell me that they cannot order it. She asked for the part number which I gave her. She looked it up and said that it's an obsolete part and not available. I asked if I could buy some quantity where they would make a run of the part. I told her I would buy 100 cables. She just apologized and said sorry that there was nothing she could do.

So... I returned my "new  duplicate cable" made by Inline Tube to see if they can get it right on the third attempt. We will see......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... So here is an update! I have some bad news but I also have some maybe good news! Bed news is that there is nothing available new that is a direct replacement onto the Reatta. Even a  $100 special order part from inline tube is not plug and play. They supply it with the wrong threads on the adjustment rod. It is supposed to be M8-1,25 but they will only supply 5/16-18. The sales engineer there thinks he knows more than any of us and insists that the part will fit perfectly and the thread difference will not affect fit or function. That is because he thinks the rod just feeds through a hole on a bracket and any hex nut will do the job. He does not understand that the Reatta has a nut enclosed in an equalizer where the adjustment is made. and yes, I feel like I wasted $100 for a special order cable that is not plug and play. I figured since I was not really satisfied with Inline Tube I would try something else.

Now this is what I am calling the maybe good news! I just successfully replaced my intermediate cable on my car using a brand new cable that is readily available at many sources. (less than $20 plus shipping) It turns out to be inexpensive, but.... The cable has to be modified a little bit to work on the Reatta. This other cable also has the 5/16-18 thread so I had to re-thread the nut inside the equalizer. (which I can also buy new readily available for less than $10 plus shipping) I found that the outside diameter of the 5/16 and the M8 threaded adjusting rod is the same diameter. The difference is that the metric thread has one more thread per inch. I don't like re-cutting threads with a different pitch because there ends up being some disrupted threads but I put it together and it works. I know I can buy another adjustment nut / equalizer so I wasn't too worried about that part of the equation.

So... Now I have a couple questions. I want to know if anyone might be interested in the information (both the Inline Tube and the other process / parts that I used) or if anyone would be interested In me getting the materials together and doing the modifications and you pay me $60 plus shipping and I will send a brand new cable and adjusting equalizer that will be plug and play to the Reatta.

I'm going out to supper with my wife right now. I'll check back here later to see what you guys think.

• Like 3

Hi. I'm back. This didn't seem to garner as much interest as I thought. So, I PM'd a few people who I thought may be interested and now I will add in the information here regarding the cables. I have a working NEW system on my car and I know I won't have to touch it again as long as I own this car. SO, for any future need by any of you here is the information;

If you need to replace your intermediate brake cable and you want a NEW cable you are pretty much out of luck. here’s some information if you want to try to find a new part for the Buick Reatta. All the years are the same . The OEM P/N is 1642481. An aftermarket cable from Wagner brake is BC129671. There is also a Bendix P/N C1703. I have not been able to find any of these anywhere.

I tried to find an alternative solution;

I wrote to Inline Tube Company in Shelby Township, Michigan. They made a duplicate cable (not quite exactly the same) for $100.00 plus shipping. The cable is the correct length and has correct fittings on the outer casing and the correct cable end at the rear. They also put on an outer protective sleeve similar to what came originally on the Reatta but it is larger diameter and is a bit of trouble to feed the cable through the openings where it gets routed. Unfortunately the threaded rod for adjustment has the wrong size thread. They supply the cable with 5/16-18 threads. The original GM cable and replacements listed earlier have metric M8-1.25 threads. That special order part number for the Inline Tube cable is SFT-15 at a cost of $100.00 plus shipping.

An alternate solution that I have come up with follows. I have made the modifications and installed the cable on my car to insure fitment and functionality.

I bought a cable for right rear Chevrolet and GMC trucks 1984 through 1986. Price range from around $10.00 up to $30.00. This cable also fits a few other models of truck. There are four different numbers I have found. This cable is very close in length of cable and length of outer casing to the original Reatta part but this cable also has the 5/16-18 threads. I have used and proven the first cable made by Dorman. 1) Dorman P/N C93249 2) ACDelco 18P428 3) Wagner BC108764 4) Pioneer CA5580.

The modification to the cable is to remove the locking fingers at the rear cable casing fitting. I then removed material (a lathe would be nice but I did it on a bench grinder) from the large diameter of that fitting to allow fitment of the rear Reatta equalizer (ACDelco P/N 25515645). The large diameter measured 0.750 before I ground it. It needs to be around 0.625 to 0.650 diameter. After this modification the cable is ready to use. Also,please note that the cable has a spring on it similar to the Reatta front cable. I left the spring on the cable when I installed it in my car.

I bought the equalizer with the internal nut. Price ranges from $10.00 to $20.00. The Reatta adjusting equalizer is ACDelco P/N 25537451. The modification is to re-tap the threads in the nut from M8-1.25 to 5/16-18. Then this part is ready for use.

Ready to install to the car!

Thanks for the sweat and finding an alternate solution.  I also feel for you trying to get interest in having the parts made, I have been down that path and it is rugged.

Good information on the alternate part and part numbers.

I think part of the problem in getting owners interested in a replacement is only owners in the rust belt will ever need a replacement so you might be talking only 10-12 states.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Thanks for the sweat and finding an alternate solution.  I also feel for you trying to get interest in having the parts made, I have been down that path and it is rugged.

Good information on the alternate part and part numbers.

I think part of the problem in getting owners interested in a replacement is only owners in the rust belt will ever need a replacement so you might be talking only 10-12 states.

Hi Barney, I was just trying to help anyone in need. I'm perfectly satisfied that I have mine all set. I just thought there may be others who don't want to do the mods and would want to just get something that can be easily installed. The cables do stretch over time. They break and they rust. At least I've left something here that can help. I'm going back to my transmission work on the car so I can prepare it to go to any new potential owner. I have other interests I would rather pursue.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, thanks for working this up. I've already ordered a couple of the equalizers to re-tap and will pick up some cables to modify this week based on your writeup.  I need to do brake work on two of mine anyway,  this will be  good excuse to replace everything and not have to worry about it again anytime soon. 

I wish Inline Tube would've  made it correctly, I'd pay the $100 to have an OE  quality part I can put on with no extra effort. I'm not paying that to get a cable that needs modification to the car to install, when the same outcome can be obtained for $40 or less in off the shelf parts.

KD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KDirk said:

Steve, thanks for working this up. I've already ordered a couple of the equalizers to re-tap and will pick up some cables to modify this week based on your writeup.  I need to do brake work on two of mine anyway,  this will be  good excuse to replace everything and not have to worry about it again anytime soon. 

I wish Inline Tube would've  made it correctly, I'd pay the $100 to have an OE  quality part I can put on with no extra effort. I'm not paying that to get a cable that needs modification to the car to install, when the same outcome can be obtained for $40 or less in off the shelf parts.

KD

FYI - I went back and did a quick edit on that previous post. I added the sizes for the diameter to be modified from 0.750 down to 0.625-0.650 and II added a note that there is a spring on the cable similar to what we have on the front cable. I left the spring installed when I put it on my car.

rear.JPG

rework OD.JPG

Thanks to Steve (fordrodsteven) we now have a how-to guide on ROJ for replacing the intermediate parking brake cable. The how-to guide can be found here: Intermediate Parking Brake Cable Source

Steve deserves a big pat on the back for spending  his time and money on a quest to find a cable that will work on our Reattas. We need more people with Steve's ingenuity, persistence and thinking outside the box to help keep our cars on the road.

• Like 1