Dual Master Cylinder

Roger Frazee

Having experienced a brake failure once, and not wanting to repeat the experience, I recently converted my Corvair to a dual master cylinder brake system.  

Would this conversion cause points to be deducted, or would it be allowable as a safety item?

I will be interested in where this topic goes. Safety in old cars can improve in many areas that did not originally have them. Where does it stop? Adding disc brakes (You can get them for Model T's), replace mechanical brakes with hydraulic brakes, adding seat belts, seal beam headlight inserts, radial tires, adding more brake lights, etc are all safety improvements.

Edited by hwellens
added items (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It would be a 3 point deduction for an incorrect master cylinder and an additional 5 points if an incorrect power booster is also installed.  AACA does not consider this a safety item.

The best safety item for a brake system is to check the fluid level from time to time.  In the past when I've had a dual master cylinder fail, it has always failed for both the front and rear brakes.  A dual master cylinder will only prevent a total failure if you have a leak in either the front or rear system, past the master cylinder.  Checking the fluid level and condition of lines and wheel cylinders will give you advance notice of a failure.

• Like 1

I think it's important to know what you're trying to go for too. A vast majority of the cars that get on the show field do a great service to the mission statement of AACA even if they end up with no award at all! Heck, for young folks you talk to, it'll be a good conversation piece "the only thing not original on this car is the master cylinder...." There is history in safety. You'll likely lose more points for other damages that come about from the use of your car than the master cylinder, and if you're more comfortable driving it that way, again, you're furthering the mission statement of AACA in many more ways than fussing. All that being said, as stated above, it is wrong, and a properly working system shouldn't be (and wouldn't be for me) a concern. Actually I've experiences a master cylinder failure in my '79 F250 farm truck. Of course it was my fault because I knew it needed replaced but just was "too busy". The E brake still worked though and did it's job to get me home.

• Like 1

As Doug said - much depends on what award you are trying to get.  If 1st Junior (or above) - a 3 point deduction for the MC.  If you are going for DPC, it won't hurt you.  If you are going for HPOF, it will be a deduction but minor if the rest of the car is original.

Bob