To adhere or not to adhere

kreed

Replacing the rubber trunk seal on one of my cars  - getting two trains of thought on whether to use an adhesive or not . Would love to hear thoughts on the use or no use of the 3M adhesive ( or others ) on any part of the car seal i.e. trunk, roof rails , doors, etc. Thansks.

KReed

ROA 14549

The trunk seal for a first gen riviera sits in a channel is and formed to set in place.  From the factory there was no adhesive applied

now with my seal replacement I had no issues with the seal staying in place so I don't see a need for it

based off your pic it looks like you have a seventies model which I can not attest to

Edited by alini (see edit history)

On my 63, I put a little bit on the corners, but that was it.  It came out of the channel a couple of times, so I just did it in those spots.  I don't think you're going to wrong either way, it's not that big of a deal just as long as it stays in place.  If it doesn't, some adhesive isn't going to hurt anything, just makes it more difficult the next time around.

Lucas

On 2nd gens water can track under the seal and run in the trunk anywhere there is a joint in the seal channel from assembly and is typically most evident on the section closest to bumper. I use sealer/adhesive in these areas And on the bends. Be sure to use it on the faces of seal where they meet each other. 

Thanks everyone - already sealed the ends . Jason,  you are right that the rubber wants to come out on the bends on the trunk so will do it judiciously . Also noted the "joint"  you mentioned on the right side nearest the bumper . 

KReed

ROA 14549