SC38DLS

Brake/clutch spring 38 State Commander

60 posts in this topic

The shop thinks they can build one that will replace the broken u joints with modern ones. They need to find yokes with the same spline pattern and count. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

I will get part numbers of what works and post them. 

The new cardan u joint will be better.  I hope they can find the same spline yokes.   If not, they might could saw your splined hub off and weld it to the new joint.   We did that back in the 70's before parts became more available.

Hopefully they can get you going soon. Post pics so we gearheads can see what was done.       

I'd talk to Jerry Kurtz - he can probably get you the transmission and rear end "yokes" you need.  I know Studebaker International had the transmission piece a couple of years ago.  I think I have a drive shaft from a 38 with standard trans. But shipping might be nearly as much as having one made. 

Got the splines off and taking my it in tomorrow. Will post pics of the shaft and splines once it is done.  I will try and get part numbers for the splines and universals and post that with length of shaft.  The fellow at the shop thought it was doable but would not commit until he sees the splines.  He said he likes a challenge and has done a few other antique cars that had different set ups than normal. So I have hope. 

I will check with SI but have no idea who or how to get in touch with Jerry Kurtz. I just got into Studebaker's about two years ago when I purchased this State Commander. Had Austin Healys, MG's and a 49 Ford F3 pickup prior to this one. Had to give them up because of a bad back. 

Thanks for the help it is appreciated.  

Jerry is Vice President of the Antique Studebaker Club. Ask the www and it will take you to his photograph and email address on the Club's web site.

Thanks Spinneyhill I will check it out.  Dave S 

Just heard from the drive shaft shop. They have found two yokes that match mine and will fit a standard universal. They ordered them & I will post part numbers as soon as I get them. I will install them then measure for the shaft length that he will then make to size.  Any one need an old shaft I will have one available but it will need universals.  

good!  sounds like you will be back on the road soon!  I wonder how many studes used that type of u-joint...it resembles the old "rag joint" used on steering boxes. 

I replaced my '39 u-joints recently and to my surprise they were the common 1310 series u-joints used in majority of rear wheel drive cars thru today.   

10 hours ago, fh4ever said:

good!  sounds like you will be back on the road soon!  I wonder how many studes used that type of u-joint...it resembles the old "rag joint" used on steering boxes. 

I replaced my '39 u-joints recently and to my surprise they were the common 1310 series u-joints used in majority of rear wheel drive cars thru today.   

The amazing thing is a lot of the new cars are using a universal very similar to mine.  Mercedes has used one like it for a few years.  Studebaker was just ahead of the times in many ways. 

I learned something today....I just googled it  (your style joint)  and its called GUIBO.....seems Mercedes and BMW does use them.  I only seen them in steering applications and on an early Triumph axle half shafts.