Patrick De

The right car for Peking to Paris 2019 Rally?

104 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I would not suggest buying a parts car yet, especially one that is 2 years older. If you decide on the Buick wait until you strip it down and find out what you need. I wouldn't replace the chassis frame unless it is cracked or badly bent. Loose rivets can be replaced.

Later.... unless my memory is faulty prewar Rolls Royce didn't use rivets in the chassis, they had  bolts in hand reamed tapered holes. So I don't know where the rivets could loosen.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Disadvantages include, it is difficult to change the transmission or clutch because the whole rear axle assembly must be removed.

That is not true for all Buicks.  I have three Buicks with torque tubes that have separable flanges behind the transmission. 

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Weight of 1929 Buick - 4100 lbs (1860Kg)

Weight of 1938 LaSalle - 3800 lbs (1723Kg)

Weight of 1938 Dodge - 3100 lbs (1406Kg)

Every year we did the Great American Race (1983-1995 for vehicles 1936 & older), we would see some real exotic's show up for the start. Often on closer inspection we would say "Better get a picture of that one" knowing that endurance was what wins and we'd never see that car again. Like the Indy 500, you can lead for 499 miles and finish almost last or not finish at all)  By the end of our 4500 mile race, the finishers were the tough cars with super preparation just like Indy. Also,I might point out that an ill prepared driver or navigator is often a worse problem than the vehicle. I was young then and the human physical stammina was a real test as well.
Good Luck, but be prepared and you'll have the time of you life.