65 Riviera expert needed for tech question

Seafoam65

6 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

What is the correct routing of the rubber return fuel line from the top of the fuel filter to the metal line headed towards

the rear of the car on a 65 A/C equpped Riviera?  Also  was it tied off to anything else with a plastic tie?

The hose rises from the top of the fuel filter and runs parallel with the high pressure metal AC  line toward the firewall and descends down the back side of the wheel well. The return line is secured to the metal line in the area of the vacuum tank with a plastic wire tie which was originally clear but turns black with age. The wire tie has a large oval head and is twice the diameter of what we typically use in the field for smallish purposes. Ironically and what would be contrary to my preference, the wire tie is loosely looped around the lines and is not pulled tight. Hope this helps,

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

The hose rises from the top of the fuel filter and runs parallel with the high pressure metal AC return line toward the firewall and descends down the back side of the wheel well. The return line is secured to the metal line in the area of the vacuum tank with a plastic wire tie which was originally clear but turns black with age. The wire tie has a large oval head and is twice the diameter of what we typically use in the field for smallish purposes. Hope this helps,

Tom

Since the A/C liquid line is nowhere near the fuel filter, how is the hose routed to get from the filter to the A/C line

and where does the hose meet the A/C line in terms of front to back?

9 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

The hose rises from the top of the fuel filter and runs parallel with the high pressure metal AC  line toward the firewall and descends down the back side of the wheel well. The return line is secured to the metal line in the area of the vacuum tank with a plastic wire tie which was originally clear but turns black with age. The wire tie has a large oval head and is twice the diameter of what we typically use in the field for smallish purposes. Ironically and what would be contrary to my preference, the wire tie is loosely looped around the lines and is not pulled tight. Hope this helps,

Tom

I never understood that.  It's as if they were just trying to keep it out of the way of something else (like the hot engine or manifold) rather than securing it.  I always thought that loose = rubbing. 

40 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Since the A/C liquid line is nowhere near the fuel filter, how is the hose routed to get from the filter to the A/C line

and where does the hose meet the A/C line in terms of front to back?

Winston,

Wow...tough crowd. Have you checked the `65 shop manual for routing illustrations? Like page 3-7 figure 3-3 ? The answer to your question including an illustration of the correct wire tie can be found there. Hope this helps, good luck,

Tom

Guess the assembly line folks didnt pay much attention to the engineer`s note in the assembly manual!

Tom

Thanks Tom......I didn't realize that there was an illustration of this in the Chassis manual! I have the same identical

strap on the hose now as is in the picture, but I ran the hose over the top rear of the compressor instead of underneath the compressor towards the front. I will reroute it correctly. Somebody had changed the fuel lines on the car before I bought it and

I suspected that the return line wasn't routed correctly. Thanks for leading me to the correct illustration.

Below is how I had it routed.....I knew it just didn't look right. One more thing, take a look at the 

heater hoses that I have running under the edge of the air cleaner towards the firewall. Does their routing

look correct?

DSCN0018.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Tom take a look at this pic of my engine compartment. I know I need to install new choke tubes for the carb...(it

currently has an electric choke box) and my car has a suction throttling valve eliminator setup on the A/C and a 1960's

Perfect circle aftermarket cruise control setup on the left fenderwell(it works perfectly!). Other than those items does it look

correct?

DSCN0101.JPG

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

...(it currently has an electric choke box) and my car has a suction throttling valve eliminator setup on the A/C and a 1960's

Perfect circle aftermarket cruise control setup on the left fenderwell(it works perfectly!).

Just out of curiosity...  Those seem like pretty big departures from stock.  Did the judges ding you for any of them?

Ed, they didn't remove anything when judging at Springfield.  I don't believe ever remove anything.  They can get on one knee and look under the car, open the doors, the decklid and hood have to be up.  I think my drivers seat was moved forward to look in the back of the passenger compartment.  There is a whole document on the BCA site that has the details.

You can tell when show season is coming up, and folks are planning Nationals pilgrimages, the judging threads get going.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, msdminc said:

You can tell when show season is coming up, and folks are planning Nationals pilgrimages, the judging threads get going.

Rock On

gor

Yep, and just as in previous years, there will be all sorts of debates on what's right / wrong / acceptable / not acceptable.  How long has it been known that 8.45 x 15 tires are not available for 1965 Rivieras?  But yet you get "deducted" for it If you don't have the correct size tires.  You'd think that after 50 + years there would be standards and exceptions with which everyone could agree to live.  Does the same problem exist for 1965 Electras?  Do they also have some unique tire size as well?   Do the guys showing 1966, 1967, and 1968 Rivieras run into the same problem?  

So in '67 if you chose to install a set of larger tires on your '65 for performance / handling / mileage, or a set of red lines for looks, would Buick have not honored its warranty on the rest of the car because you decided to get away from strictly stock?  Some weird $hit goin' on.   

Ed

• Like 1

According to the BCA Judging rules, if nobody makes the correct tire size for your car, the closest

available size is acceptable with no point deduction. In the case of the 65 Riviera, that would be the 8.55 bias ply which

is available. They are the same diameter as the 8.45-15 but very slightly wider tread.The diameter I am referring to is 28.66 inches.

The 760-15, 8.45-15 and 8.55 -15 are all 28.66 inches in diameter.   The only bias ply appearing radials offered that would work on a 65 riviera would be the 760-15. Also, just to clarify.......BCA does not deduct points for having a single stripe whitewall on a 65 Riviera even though they came with triple whitewalls, because none are available for sale. When I go with whitewalls they will be the triple stripe because they just look right on the car. As a side note, my Dad's new 65 Riviera came with triple whitewall Goodyear tires. In 1968 he tried to buy another set of the triple whitewall tires and even then

you couldn't get them anymore. They were made for a very brief period of time.

So it's not really a matter of actual tire size, it's the designation that gets points deducted. Your speedometer is correct, the tires "appear" to be correct, the stance of the car is correct, etc. But the little embossed sizing on the face of the tire gets you into trouble.  Sounds to me that the judges are looking for ways to deduct points. If it's not about appearance, then bias looking radials should be wrong as well. You can tell a radial tire just by the way it sits on the ground.  

How are judges assigned?  If they have a car in the same class that they're judging, couldn't they be looking for ways to favor they're own car?  If they don't have a car in the same class, how can they know enough about the car to judge it Accurately? Still seems overly dramatic.

Perhaps someone needs to come up with some sort of peel and stick black rubber decal that has the correct tire size on it.  Then you could shave the production info off the tire and make it what you need it to be. ?

Ed 

• Like 1

That's funny Ed, I was fantasizing about the very same peel and stick tire size lettering yesterday!  Of

course they would fall off if you drove the car, but that wouldn't matter....you could just stick them on for Judging then

peel them right back off! If they were made of black rubber I think they would pass muster. If the judge

got wise and peeled one off, you could accuse him of destroying your new tire and demand a new one!

What Coker tire needs to do is sell their tires with no tire size printed on the sidewall, then sell the size

lettering separately!  As for the judging, Dick Sweeney was the head Riviera class  judge in Springfield, and the

young guy judging the tires actually asked me if redlines were available on a 65 Riviera as he wasn't sure. Dick Sweeney walked up before I could respond and set the kid straight! You aren't going to 

put anything over on Dick........he's owned 65 Rivieras for 52 years!

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

That's funny Ed, I was fantasizing about the very same peel and stick tire size lettering yesterday!  Of

course they would fall off if you drove the car, but that wouldn't matter....you could just stick them on for Judging then

peel them right back off! If they were made of black rubber I think they would pass muster. If the judge

got wise and peeled one off, you could accuse him of destroying your new tire and demand a new one!

What Coker tire needs to do is sell their tires with no tire size printed on the sidewall, then sell the size

lettering separately!  As for the judging, Dick Sweeney was the head Riviera class  judge in Springfield, and the

young guy judging the tires actually asked me if redlines were available on a 65 Riviera as he wasn't sure. Dick Sweeney walked up before I could respond and set the kid straight! You aren't going to 

put anything over on Dick........he's owned 65 Rivieras for 52 years!

Or how about this.  Make a "brand" that could be heated and while it's red hot, "brand" the size of the tire into the side wall.  Have Coker, Universal, or one of the other vintage tire makers produce their tires with plain side walls then stamp your size I to it.

6 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

According to the BCA Judging rules, if nobody makes the correct tire size for your car, the closest

available size is acceptable with no point deduction. In the case of the 65 Riviera, that would be the 8.55 bias ply which

is available. They are the same diameter as the 8.45-15 but very slightly wider tread.The diameter I am referring to is 28.66 inches.

The 760-15, 8.45-15 and 8.55 -15 are all 28.66 inches in diameter.   The only bias ply appearing radials offered that would work on a 65 riviera would be the 760-15. Also, just to clarify.......BCA does not deduct points for having a single stripe whitewall on a 65 Riviera even though they came with triple whitewalls, because none are available for sale. When I go with whitewalls they will be the triple stripe because they just look right on the car. As a side note, my Dad's new 65 Riviera came with triple whitewall Goodyear tires. In 1968 he tried to buy another set of the triple whitewall tires and even then

you couldn't get them anymore. They were made for a very brief period of time.

Buick was still installing triple whites on the Riviera at the factory thru the 1970 model year. I dont know what was going on in the aftermarket at that time but the triple whites were still being manufactured.

Tom