piston for continental motors W4 1922-24 Star

jan arnett (2)

For all things obsolete Cont'l the place to start is Monte's Eqpmt, obsolete Cont'l dealers, fmly in Chicago, now NW of City but e=mails the same:

Garrad (Gerry/Jerry) Moon at Mont's (garradmoon@montes@flash.net, or montesequipment. com...

P A Ross Mahinery in Dallas, long time Cont'l dealer, has also been helpful with obsolete's---parossmacinery.com...

FWIW,

29 Accuralite pisTon catalog says W4 shares pistons with 6Y, 7U and 7H.....

36 kING Prod catalog says W4 shares piston with 7U to #41897 and 6Y 6cyl's, H6, H7 and P17 power unit, all apparently having the Osc type pin....7H has been moved to 31/2 bore set; and later 7Us are shown with lock ring pin, so all W4s seem to have the Osc pin...

Fascinating...

Under Cont'l  that 29 catalog lists W4 pistons available in CI, Lynite and Strut versions, all 31/4 length...

However, under Star, the Lynite and Strut versions are shown as 311/16 length...a catalog discrepancy, both sets of listings showing the same telegraph codes...

ALSO, under Star, a second CI piston is shown, 31/4 length, with the notation "bushed". (which is probably the CI above??)...

Looks like some careful weighing and measuring is in order here to match your other three, including ring grooves, as the CI's are  different from the Lynite/Strut... .(neither catalog lists weights).

Reviewed some other period piston and/or ring catalogs; those that list Star and/or the W4 only list one piston and/or ring set...that Thompson catalog does list the outlined engine as "Cont'l Special", which should be the W4, and it may well've been Special as several period catalogs only show it on some 28-29 Gleaner Combines  (my catalogs are primarily over the road trucks and mid-30s cars with a few tractors and combines; i have very ;little on const etc eqpmt---it wasn't unosual to discount end of production run engines to Ag, Const, Ind'l etc)...

I wonder if the short and long skirt pistons were formed to be actually same weight, to be interchangeable???

Got mired today in my Cont'l file, looking for something I couldn't find; noticed a page i'd run for someone on 6Y, 7U and 10U engines...

Familiar names with Clubs include Auburn (6Y and 7U), Davis? (both), Elcar (7U), Henney (Ambulances,  Hearses 7U) Moon (both) Roamer? (7U) and your own Star (6Y and 7U in 22-24 period)...

These old catalogs are seldom complete and sometimes erroneous, but it's a place to start. Several of the listings imply the 7U superseded the 6Y. It's also possible your rear main setup may be similar to those or the W5...

Thanks Bud.  The 7U is the same as the 6Y with a different head.  The head has a short water outlet and was used near the end of 6-40 run. The 6Y has a long water outlet.   I will have to check the rear main as they can be a problem.  Once again thank you for the information and I am still looking.

Jan

• Like 1