Studebaker brake cables

Pretty hard as this is a Studebaker Racer. The engine is a straight height from 1931 and the frame a very modified 1929 Studebaker. It has been lowered and most

of the parts are not original or custom. The suspension dumpers are Houdaille for exemple....

I will probably have to measure the current cables and find generic ones that I will need to  adapt.

JM

As I recall there is a firm that will custom build cables.  I looked at their website when I was restoring my 38 Coupe and found that the emergency brake cable was frozen on the right side.  Luckily for me I was able to get one of the cables from my parts car to free up by socking it in evaporust for a couple of days.  As I recall they advertised in Goodguys and cater to the Hot Rod guys.  I will look and see if I can find their ad and update my post later.

If you end up desperate, any place the repairs/rebuilds old aeroplanes can make new cables using your old ends.  Just don't mention that they are "brake" cables.  Most shops are fussy about liability.  For 58 years I have searched and finally found a set of new brake cable assemblies (cable, casing and ends) for my Pontiac. but in the interim have had the cables redone at an aircraft shop twice.  Each time they lasted over 200,000 miles.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

George Martin in Lebanon PA. I first meet him at Hershey and he was advertising in Hemmings. I have a telephone number of 717-273-9502   He has made several for my 31 presidents.  He has the specs to made stock ones, but you might have to send him a sample or give lengths of cable and sleeves.  He might have the ends or you will have to supply yours.

Rex

See http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=107198.0

Edited by studerex (see edit history)

There is no advantage to hydraulic operated brakes over mechanical operated.  The stopping is done by the friction between the tires and the road.  Probably the only advantage of mechanical over hydraulic is the fact that one adjusted you could park the car for years and come back and the brakes would work perfectly.  With hydraulics you would have to rebuild all the cylinders to be safe.

Tinindian,

I beg to differ. Hydraulic brakes have a huge advantage over cables and I'm not talking about control ability that is afforded through today's electronics. What was immediately apparent with the addition of hydraulic brakes was the ability to easily balance the braking action. This is extremely important for left / right balance that can have a immediate negative impact to vehicle dynamics....no one wants a yaw event unexpectedly when braking. Front / rear balance is also easier to control. This appears to be a moot point for Jean Marc though if rules don't allow.

Scott

I agree with you that balance is easy with hydraulics but when properly set up mechanical actuation has the advantage that I indicated.  I only have to equalize my brakes when I reline the shoes (about every 80,000 miles).  In between relines I usually have to adjust the shoes (about one turn) every second year (about 24,000 miles).