Complete Model A restore for a novice

Guest Max4260

Guest Max4260

Hi Everyone,

I have a somewhat multipurpose question for the community here. I'm planning on starting a restore of a Model A (I don't know the year yet, but will find out tomorrow) with my dad once I get back to the states when my wife's military deployment is complete.

The car itself was my dads in high school, and he started a restore with my grandpa that was halted in the 90's due to some family events. since the car has been without a good portion of the body, but stored exclusively in a covered non heated garage (so some rust, but hopefully no major issues).

I have never rebuild anything and am looking to start a library of books or a collection of specialized tools or something and could use some advice. I have seen a number of books online but reviews appear to range wildly and i would hate to spend a lot on a book that doesn't cater to what a full restore will take.

thank you for any advice!

Welcome to the Old Car Hobby! it is great to see someone new entering the hobby. Restoring a car that has been part of your family for years will certainly be a rewarding, fun and at times challenging project. The Model A Ford is one of the most desirable and common collector cars. Relatively speaking, they are easy cars to restore and are LOTS of fun to own and drive. It is the perfect car for the first time car restorer and, when finished, is a highly usable automobile.

To begin with, I would highly recommend joining one or both of the national Model A clubs- the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) and the Model A Restorers Club (MARC). Both have regional groups located all over the USA and in most other countries. Joining these clubs and becoming active in a regional group will be your best source of information and help. I would also recommend becoming active on the Model A-specific websites such as www.fordbarn.com and www.ahooga.com. On these sites, you can ask virtually any Model A related questions and get answers within minutes.

Getting some books together is certainly a good start. Vendors such as Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in Ohio and Bratton's in Maryland stock all the Model A reference and repair manuals that you will need. They both have great websites and are the largest dealers in new reproduction and rebuilt Model A parts and accessories. These vendors also stock most of the specialty tools you might need. There is hardly anything that hasn't been reproduced for the Model A. Even new bodies are available. Also, there are lots of original parts available for sale. The www.fordbarn.com website is a great place to find original Model A parts.

Good luck on your new project and keep us posted on your progress. I look forward to hearing about your restoration. Also, never be shy to ask questions!!!

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

A good read is " The Model A Ford as Henry Built It". It chronicles the development, design, and history of the Model A. It also talks about each model for each year along with paint colors and interior materials. Has many great photos. Also there is a multi-volume set of softback books entitled "how to Restore Your Model A" which can be helpful. They are filled with how-to's and tips on different things. Probably the best book you can get is a copy of the Model A Judging Standards. It outlines all the details you will need should you decide to fully and authentically restore your car. Knowledge is power and the more you can learn about the car the more prepared you will be to undertake the restoration. Like many old cars, the A has some specific inherited issues that have to be watched and dealt with, many of which are covered by some of the books listed above. Also part identification is important. Many parts will fit and function for all 4 tears but many are year specific. There were many changes during production, some changes are inconsequential but some are specific to periods of production and parts will not interchange. Good luck in your endeavor and have fun with it. I really miss my "A"! Feel free to ask questions, there are many folks that are very knowledgeable about these cars on this forum.

Awesome project, welcome to this forum and the hobby!  Surely your dad will love doing this with you - and thank your wife for her service!

The only other advice I could add to the great advice above is get involved with a local chapter.  Each one seems to have a few guys who are willing to help - might be good to have an experienced A person check the car over, offer advice and perhaps help get it running, etc. 

Multitudes of these cars have been restored at home by hobbyists - so if it is something you want to pursue, you just need to stick with it, be patient and I am sure you will love the result in the end!

How's about some pics when you get stateside?  :-)

Oh, I see guy of course already covered the local region/chapter suggestion - anyway, looking forward to your initial assessment and report on the specific year and model.  Mechanically though, with very subtle differences, the A remained essentially the same from '28 - '31 so any research you do now will be applicable!