DeSoto CK-6 Information

dneivandt

I am looking at a CK-6 Business Coupe that is for sale.  It appears to be early production, engine number CK 1808, serial number 5,000,580 body number 377-77.  What surprises me is that it has the narrow radiator shell of the K series, not the wide shell that I thought was on the CK series.  It does have the lights on the front fenders, and a mechanical fuel pump that I believe are correct for the CK.  The engine number is  stamped on the driver side frame above the pitman arm so I presume the engine, frame and body are original.  Could Desoto have phased in the wider shell such that early CK had the narrow shell?  One other thing that strikes me as odd is that the trunk lid is wood framed when the rest of the body and doors are steel. The hinges appear to be home made so I am wondering if this panel is original.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0391.JPG

P8250931.JPG

I was under the impression that the DeSoto and Plymouth bodies were about the same and I think the '29 or '30 Plymouth coupes had the wood bracing in the trunk lid. I may be incorrect on this. There seems to be various ways the Chrysler products came equipped in the change-over months. I would not be surprised if they built CKs with the thin profile shells and the thicker ones, depending on the month built.

Being the owner of a 1930DeSoto CK 6 wheel rumble seat coupe that is now restored, I find this an interesting question. I acquired my car in 1971 as a basket case and have done a lot of research over the years. According to the published data that I have found, all CK cars had the wide profile radiator shell. The model K cars had the narrow profile, The difference in the amount of chrome showing is made up by the length of the hood. It could be that the car was repaired at one time with a model K replacement radiator and hood (probably more readily available). Of course there is a chance that the factory used up some old parts into a new model year. This does not appear to be officially recorded anywhere. After all it was the depression.

As far as the wood in the trunk lid, in my opinion it may have been replaced, but it does copy original. The support brackets are definitely not original. The closed body CK cars had all steel doors, steel floor except for the front ahead of the seat, some wood structure between the top and bottom body sections, and wood lining the roof area. The trunk lid and rumble lids were lined with wood for structural strength. The CK roadsters had wood into the rear floor area as well.

If you have access to it, the book "The Plymouth DeSoto Story" by Don Butler has the most information on these cars. The WPC News also ran a feature on the 1930 DeSoto 6 & 8 in May 1974 after almost concelling it due to lack of information.

Hope some of this helps

Rick VanOene 

Hi David

If you go to the third page on the Plymouth forum, you will find a trunk lid like that for sale. Good pictures of the inside, Also on line there is a 1930 CK for sale, It shows a picture of the lid open. Not much else to go by

regards

Rick

• 3 months later...

I see, I did understand you were working on getting a complete DC8 set! Very nice Desoto Coupe though, could be enjoyed for years just as it is. Rarely see a Desoto of any model/year around here these days. I recall seeing some new ones in the mid-fifties, flashier than most cars of the day.