Idenfying 1929 studebaker Dictator

Guest K Bates

Guest K Bates

I have a 1929 Studebaker Dictator.  I am looking for the Vin or engine number so I can get a title for it.  I located "FCQ-1  174"  on the firewall.  Can someone tell me what that means?  I appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks.

"FCQ-1  174"  is the firewall tag that identifies the model, body style, trim level, and sequential number of body production.   In this case FC indicates a 1930 Dictator with the 221 cubic inch straight eight engine.  Q is the body style identification for a coupe.  The number 1 after Q identifies this body as a regular model trim.   The number 174 means that this was the 174th coupe body produced.

In 1930 most states used the engine number as the VIN for the purpose of titling a car.  For your car the engine number for the 1930 Dictator started with FC-1 and went up from there.   The engine number was hand stamped on the engine block.  I am not familiar with the FC Dictator engine to know the location used for stamping the engine number.    On some models, in the 1929-1930 model years, the engine number was stamped on the smooth boss just below the engine head in the center of the engine block on the side of the engine.  I don't know if this is correct for the FC Dictator and which side of the engine to direct you to look.  Perhaps someone more familiar will chime in and give you the correct location to look for your engine number.   When you find the spot you most likely will need to clean the area down to the bare metal in order to read the engine number. 

In addition to the engine number the frame also had an identification tag.  This is a similar to the cowl tag, however, larger, and riveted to the left front side of the frame just behind the left front wheel.  For your car the frame numbers started with 2,120,001 and up in 1930. 

I hope this helps.   

The Dictator's engine was the next generation from the Light Six design which had the engine number stamped on the block just above the starter (number faces up).

Scott

For titling purposes you should use the Serial No. from the plate on the frame rail just behind the left front wheel.  I don't know which states originally used the engine number but it soon became obvious engines were changed like underwear, where frames were not.  I'm not aware of ANY state titling by engine number anymore.  Though if you have one titled by engine number and it still matches, it should still be honored.

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

I realize this is an old post but I just wanted to comment that the Michigan title that came with my 29 Dictator used the body plate GL W-1 2960 as the VIN. I had to have a police inspection because it was and out of state title and the Sheriff's deputy used that number. Also the Indiana BMV accepted it without question when I transferred the title to myself. The serial number plate is very legible but no one ever asked for it. From what I understand form my reading here the body number would be unique to this vehicle so would be appropriate. 

20170605_230259 1.jpg