Stutz research

Guest rkp5555

Guest rkp5555

I am researching Stutz models. Robbins was a carriage company in Indianapolis that provided bodies to Stutz. Apparently most were closed body but they did make open bodies in the mid to late 20s for the 4 passenger phaeton speedster. What I cannot find are any production numbers for Robbins open body Stutz and how many might remain today. I know one sold in the last couple of years at auction. Anyone able to provide any help?

No help with production numbers.

I have a 25 Paige landau with a Robbins body. 

I believe my 26 Stutz AA is American Body Corp.

The web site Coachbuilt lists 2 and 4 passenger speedsters built by Robbins.

Does anyone know if the Robbins facility is still standing in Indy?

Dennis 

Guest 1923WillysKnight
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:43 AM, rkp5555 said:

I am researching Stutz models. Robbins was a carriage company in Indianapolis that provided bodies to Stutz. Apparently most were closed body but they did make open bodies in the mid to late 20s for the 4 passenger phaeton speedster. What I cannot find are any production numbers for Robbins open body Stutz and how many might remain today. I know one sold in the last couple of years at auction. Anyone able to provide any help?

I don't know about Stutz Custom Bodies made by ROBBINS : but I do know that they also made some CABRIOLET COUPE CUSTOM BODIES for the WILLYS KNIGHT'S from 1926 - 1928. I am working on restoring one of 3 known to exist according to the Willys Overland Knight Registry. The Registry shows 1-1926 Model 66,  1 - 1927 Model 66A and my 1928 Model 66A (all 3 are Cabriolet Coupes and the one listed as a 1927 may very well be a 1928). The 1926 can be seen at the Willys Overland Knight Registry web site (www.wokr.org) by going to the web site and clicking on the photo gallery... then go to the Great Sixes and on the bottom row you will see  2 -1926 Model 66 Cabriolet Coupes with the Robbins Body  These 2 pictures are of the same car shown before and after restoration ! I have not found any info for the production numbers of the Robbins Body Co and I'm not sure if the facility still exists today.  You may check the Wikipedia story on Robbins Body Co for the answer. :

Guest 1923WillysKnight
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:38 AM, John_Mereness said:

Dad had an employee in the 1960's and 1970's by the name of Dave Bell (who was a lead in the Willys Overland Knight Registry) and he had a 1929 Stearns Knight 6 cylinder Coupe with a Robbins Body (mostly aluminum)

Dave Bell was the Willys Overland Knight Registry President and one of the first members I met when I joined in 1975.   He was very well informed historian   very good officer and club member. Our club owes many thanks for his guidance and activities while he was with us !

About 7 years ago I posted the following:

Stutz promoted a new type of finish called Robbin-Chrome at the 1925 New York and Chicago auto shows. Two of the five Stutzes displayed, a phaeton and a sedan (1925 Series 695 Sportbrohm), were finished in the novel Robbins-sourced treatment. The Jan 8th and 23rd, 1925 issues of Motor Age described the Robbin-Chrome as "unusual and distinctive in that a mottled design of no uniform pattern was created on a smooth dark undercoat. An exceptionally high luster obtained with a special varnish gave the bodies a polished marble appearance."

Has anyone ever seen this paint? Is there a decent picture of it anywhere?

Since you are researching Robbins, if you run across any information about this paint, please let me know as I have been unable to find out anything about it. Thank you.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best history of Robbins I have found. It may not answer your question directly, but it will help. 

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/r/robbins/robbins.htm

Here is a quote:

"A 1928 issue of Autobody announced:

“The Robbins Body Corporation, of Indianapolis, is devoting practically all of its facilities to the manufacture of radio cabinets. Most of the officers are interested in the radio business and the opportunity of securing large orders for this class of work without special solicitation is the reason why the company has already reached a capacity of 1,500 radio cabinets per day. It was expected that the last of the automobile bodies would be completed by the end of June, but as the corporation has had an excellent line of customers for whom it has built bodies continuously for 18 years, it is possible that the building of high-grade automobile bodies may resume in the future.”"

I have seen a B&W picture of the Robbin-Chrome paint finish - somewhere. I seem to remember that it looked blotchy, as in patches about the size of an angular dinner plate that reflected a lot of light, while other patches didn't. I suspect that as one's point of view changed, so did the amount of light reflected from each patch. It looked a bit like techno-camoflauge. It obviously didn't catch on. 

• 1 month later...