Ply PA parts needed

dix40

I can use the following

- late PA lug nuts (9/16"-18). they are closed ended and marked L or R.  also can use studs
- light switch on end of steering column
-square air box ( got the louvered can)
thanks Richard 407-417-4882 or dixchief@gmail.com

I actually have 2 motors, an early PA (20,xxx) and a later PA (90,xxx) . The early model has a smaller throat and thinner studs tan the later PA. 

The car is the late production PA.  I am using the early motor (runs great) until I have the correct one rebuilt. there were a few changes between the early and later PA models (e.g., 1/2" lugs vs 9/16" lugs.    the air box and louvered can were below the carb but changed to be above the carb in the PB. I don't know if this change was also in the later PA. Obvious reason is  flooded carb gas would be held in the lower box and would be a situation for fire. the higher box eliminated this danger. anyone know when this change was made?

So the 2 holes would be on the same wall of the air box for the PA unless there was a mid year change.

In the picture of the correct setup, I can't see the intake/exhaust manifolds. they were different also in the early/late PA"s

32 AIR CLEANER.jpg

the picture has a PA modified air box on a PB carb.-------most all of the PA cars I have seen used the brass bowl carter and the PB used the BB1  like in the picture. later PA's I have seen had a pipe to move the vent can above the manifold this was a dealer add on part I was told.   but then I was not there when the cars where new . many of the intakes and carb's had been changed over to the better PB carb and intake.  The PB intake used more botls around the hot box and did not leak as bad and also had bolt holes for vacuum clutch parts to mount to it .  The BB1 carb was also better than the brass bowl carter they say. I also think the closer you got to the PB release and the PA thrift car the more PB parts started to show up.

I agrre. and I believe these were factory changes..I tried to put the  complete exhaust/intake/carb from the late PA on the eary PA and found the studs coming out of the block were too short to accept the wing clamps that pinch the manifolds inward. the carb and intakes are larger and much more substancial. 

still need a box. The pic shows specs from the original. I may just make one if I can't find an original.

I have thought about making one also ---the originals are sealed and have  a course steel mesh  inside with a screen to keep mesh in the box --I have not found a good way to clean them. I have one for my car but is full of dirt and oil --I may try soaking it in gas or diesel for a bit then letting it dry out ..... would be nice to make it carry a replaceable filter inside and could put the angled carb intake tube on it to fit the BB1 carb ------ I plan on putting the carter brass bowl carb back on my car.     Look at your bellhousing bolts on the rt. side is the dowel pin still there for the air box to mount on.   the box has a ring on the lower corner that slips over the pin to help hold and locate it.--Allan

I may have answered my question re when was the lower box used. here is a pic of the later production(larger manifolds and more bolts) and it has the "lower than carb" box.

the second pic shows the stub is present on my tranny.

Allen- is your box mounted? I would like some clear pix of what it should look like. My pic in the earlier message has the specs. It should not be hard to modify the design to accect a paper filter.

If I make one, might as well make two. thanks

Dick

At this time carb and box are off ---if you go the the web site --Plymouth the first decade --look up the pictures of the red PA convertible that Paul restored it has a shot of carb. side of motor with air cleaner and correct brass bowl carter carb.     also in the 2 dr, sedan pictures look for the black 2 dr that is an old picture of my car.  

on that same web site you should find a blue coupe carb side shot of motor --carter brass bowl carb but no air cleaner on it ---it has later manifolds on it ---thanks for the work that one of the people from this forum put in to that web site ---Allan

I have a 32 PA        my understanding is that Chrysler realized that the silencer with the air intake under the carb was dangerous in the case of a back fire        I have a later PA silencer where the air filter is above the motor,,,,,,  like brand new,,,,,    the pipe coming off the carb is straight so it was meant to be used with a brass bowl only used on PA     I am now running a BB1 so can not use it at this time   also have the PA silencer with a angle carb pipe that can be used with my BB1  so it indicates that maybe they used BB1 on later PAs    I will try to post picture

Here are the pictures of the silencers for my PA plymouth             I have a car titled in 32      see the unit that has the air cleaner in a vertical, above the motor position    I guess they used the low can for the PB  as well as the larger, vertical one that I used to have

CARB 1.JPG

CARB 2.JPG

CARB 3.JPG

the lower 2 pictures are what I thought to be correct for  PA's with the brass bowl carb --- it also has the extinction pipe to put filter screen above motor --factory up-date for dirt and back fire issues ---nice part thanks for the pic's Bob ---- I have the carb-air box and filter screen can. I had planned on building the tube, some where I have measurements for it.

Thanks'  Allan