What radios fit 49 Buick Super dash

ventport

Sadly, the 1949 Buick dashboards were unique, so it's likely that the only radios that will fit are 1949 Buick radios. The radio chassis might be the same as other makes and it might physically fit, but it probably won't be an exact fit with proper knobs and dial.

What do you consider a "reasonable" price for a radio like this? Are you looking for something to simply fill the hole or a functioning radio? I wouldn't be surprised to find that a "reasonable" price on a working 1949 Buick radio was $500-1000, and a junk one might be $100-250, perhaps more. I bought a spare radio for parts for my 1941 Buick, which is far more common than a '49, and I think it was about $200 in non-working condition and good only for parts.

You might have to adjust your expectations of "reasonably priced."

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Radio fitments have almost always been unique to the car model they go into, but between different models of around the same year, it can just be a difference in the fascia and the knobs to match the styling of the dash

Its one of the fun things about doing a car and trying to keep it looking stock, if there is something that is year/model specific (1 year only), then these things become very pricey

I have a 60 plymouth and the aero steering wheel for that is normally around $500+ for a restorable core (if you can find one) and to get it recast to look original is about $1700 (if I am still up to date) and this is just the bare wheel, without the horn stuff

If your car is a custom, then you could consider trying to get a bit artsy and create a mount to take an after market sterio/dvd whatever to fit in its place?

Mick

I have a 1949 Buick radio available if needed. It was removed from my uncles 1949 Roadmaster in 1960 before he traded the car in on a 1955 Chevy. Sat in a box on the shelf in his basement until I got it from my cousin about 10 years ago. It still looks very clean and has nice chrome. One knob missing. Send me a personal message.

I have a 1949 Buick radio available if needed. It was removed from my uncles 1949 Roadmaster in 1960 before he traded the car in on a 1955 Chevy. Sat in a box on the shelf in his basement until I got it from my cousin about 10 years ago. It still looks very clean and has nice chrome. One knob missing. Send me a personal message.

Larry,

If the OP doesn't PM you, please tell me about the radio. I need one for a '49 Roadmaster, but would need to see an image or two.

Thanks,

TG

TG :

Ventport begged off so the radio is still available. Looking at the owners guide it looks that the Special radio fit is different than the rest of the 49s Still using 1948 styling. As they show the speaker above the controls while the other series show speaker below the controls.

post-121302-0-14240400-1454595392_thumb.post-121302-0-81352100-1454595411_thumb.post-121302-0-68820500-1454595429_thumb.