NEW PROJECT

LAS VEGAS DAVE

My next project is to get the DELUXE HARRISON HEATER that is in the car working properly. The problem with the one in the car is that the heater motors turn but make noise as if the bearings need oil and they don't seem to run at a steady speed. Tomorrow I will take out the heater and see if I can lube the defroster motor and the heater motor shafts to see if that helps anything. I'm hoping the motors are good as I have no idea where to get replacements if not. 

Very likely they can be rebuilt. I had my aftermarket heater motor apart and it appeared to be a standard 6V motor with bushings on each end. I just lubed them and cleaned up the commutator and it runs fine. It it's really bad you will probably be able to find a motor shop that can repair/rewind.

Cheers, Dave

Fixing the heater motor is not a big deal.

Take the motor apart. That will allow you to check the condition of the shaft bearing area and also check the condition of the brushes and commutator. It will also allow you to oil the bearing that is in the blind end of the motor. I believe these are oilite, so just oiling the bronze bearings isnt going to last forever.

I have been lucky on mine. The brushes were good, so I just cleaned up the commutator, oiled the bearings and it turned out OK.

I did my '38 Roadmaster about 30 years ago and it is just now starting to make noise again - I'm OK with that.

Don

• Like 1

I actually drilled a tiny hole in the bubble on the end of the motor and oiled through that. Worked so far.

Ben

GREAT IDEA BEN, I just finished putting the heater back in the car, I wish I would have read your idea first. Any way all I did was lube the bearings as best as I could, the good news is it worked, both motors spin nicely now that it is back in the car and make no noise. I don't know how long it will last but if it does it again I will drill a little hole like you did. I'M RUNNING OUT OF PROJECTS, the car is driving nicely. Maybe in the next week or so I'll grease everything and change the oils once again. I have put almost 2600 miles on the car since I got it. I've already changed the engine oil twice and the coolant a few times when I was dealing with that. The car now runs 160 to 180 and is a joy to drive. I have a complete radio but I want to have it restored including the dial refinished before it gets installed. Actually I haven't made up my mind about ever even installing it but its a possibility.