1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 --- *Decode*

Steve-V

Why?  Do you just want to document what is wrong with this "original" car.  We'll just start with paint code 43.  This is not close to 43 other than it is green.  Don't get me wrong, just don't represent this car as original.  It is not.  Nice car, but not restored to original.

SA is the date code and likely says "_5A" (maybe _6A, it's hard to see clearly) with the _ being obscured by the rivet and probably a 0, meaning 05A, which is the first week of May build date (06A is the first week of June). The two six-digit numbers are internal LA plant codes and do not decode to anything specific on the car. They are unique to Los Angeles-built cars and while there are some guesses about their meaning, nobody has been able to conclusively decode them with any accuracy.

I would also agree that you should be careful using the word "original" with this car. It may or may not be a real Z/28--they're notoriously difficult to document without a build sheet, and if you can't document it, then it's no better than a clone to most buyers. It also has an RS grille and bumpers, which is often more desirable but was it born that way? Just at a glance I can see a lot of non-original parts under the hood. I wouldn't risk calling it an "original" car or a "survivor" or any of the other buzzwords that have very specific meanings to a lot of enthusiasts. It's a nice 1970 Camaro, but it's been "personalized" quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Later style rear wing also.

It's a 70 & 1/2

Why?  Do you just want to document what is wrong with this "original" car.  We'll just start with paint code 43.  This is not close to 43 other than it is green.  Don't get me wrong, just don't represent this car as original.  It is not.  Nice car, but not restored to original.

I have to do some research myself and ask specific questions.

SA is the date code and likely says "_5A" (maybe _6A, it's hard to see clearly) with the _ being obscured by the rivet and probably a 0, meaning 05A, which is the first week of May build date (06A is the first week of June). The two six-digit numbers are internal LA plant codes and do not decode to anything specific on the car. They are unique to Los Angeles-built cars and while there are some guesses about their meaning, nobody has been able to conclusively decode them with any accuracy.

I would also agree that you should be careful using the word "original" with this car. It may or may not be a real Z/28--they're notoriously difficult to document without a build sheet, and if you can't document it, then it's no better than a clone to most buyers. It also has an RS grille and bumpers, which is often more desirable but was it born that way? Just at a glance I can see a lot of non-original parts under the hood. I wouldn't risk calling it an "original" car or a "survivor" or any of the other buzzwords that have very specific meanings to a lot of enthusiasts. It's a nice 1970 Camaro, but it's been "personalized" quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, like I said to 61, I will have to do my research & ask specific questions.

Take a look at the decoding section at nastyz28.com.

Great reference, thank you.

Your Google-Fu is weak, young Grasshopper. Behold!

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+Camaro+VIN+decoder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Well deserved kung fu slap, I will do some research on my own.