Update 1965 Riviera Restoration...rolling chassis

RockitRiviera

I'm simply converting the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) power train to electric.  So I'll have a low voltage (12 volts) system for all of the accessories (lights/radio/power windows/locks/vacuum pump for the power brakes/etc and a high voltage (300-350Volt) battery pack (which I do not have yet) to run the electric motor (which I do not have yet).

Technology is changing quickly, so by the time the body is completed and ready to go back on the chassis (in the Spring of 2016?), I hope to find a high tech and low cost motor/inverter/DC-DC converter/batteries/etc.

Thanks for asking Steve.

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

I'm simply converting the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) power train to electric. 

That sounds like an ambitious project to me but glad that you're up to the task and will look forward to seeing your progress. I am in awe of people like yourself that think waay outside the box.  :)

Steve

Hey Paul....

Love seeing some more " OPTIONS " come to the table to power classic cars as a whole .....seems that just a few years ago putting fuel injection on a nailhead ,or any other vehicle that came with a quadrajet , Holley , Afb , etc...was voodoo NASA crazy talk ! Love this Riv forum and all the wealth of information and people like yourself that stretch the norm !!! Have you seen the guys at

"WELDERUP" in Las Vegas that did the electric motor conversion on a 1928 Buick for the folks that own E-STOPP ?? That shows it can be done ! Good luck and keep the ROA up to date !!

Pyntre,

No, I had never heard of that...living in a world with out cable/satellite TV has it's downsides...

I googled them and took a look at a few pics.  They chose to go with a DC motor.  Pretty cheap way to go,  but I'm sure it serves their purpose of having a show car that moves under electric power. 

I'm going with PMAC (Permanent Magnet AC) motor.  The OEM's all go with PMAC's because they are more efficient (smaller, more powerful, use less battery power)...plus they are quiet, have regen braking and no brushes to replace...ever.  PMAC's do run hotter so they need a coolant system.

I think Electric Hot Rodding is in it's infancy...The infrastructure (fast chargers) are being built up everywhere...I have one in my little town and one 40 miles away...so maybe I won't need as many batteries as I once thought.  It's only a matter of time before restoration projects replace the gas engine with electric motors.  (BTW, I'm in now way against internal combustion engines...I have my 1972 Buick Centurion Convertible with a 455 and I love cruising around in that).

If I can make my Riviera about 300 pounds lighter than the stock version while having all the gizmos (AC/PB/PS/PW/PL, etc) I'll consider that a huge win.

Paul

OK Rockit: I must apologize that I can't help you with your project. (You don't disclose your location). I think you are 100% correct in saying electric conversions are in their infancy. I would be so impressed if more rodders with the high ego as well as the high skill set would consider the electric projects. Of course, the pinnacle would be GM making  retro kits for their old iron....but I doubt this is in their agenda.

I created two threads which discussed GM's not getting it. One, the longest thread in BCA forum history was about GM on life support, the other on why GM farms out their licensing for aftermarket parts when they could sell their own authentic reproduction parts over their own counter and have loyal GM people going through their showrooms to get the parts...looking at GM cars along the way. I got bombed every step of the way.

I hope you aren't on your own but unfortunately you may be. I fully support your efforts and if it came to having an electric motor to replace the 425 dual quad motor in my Riv GS....the electric would win hands down.

Mitch

Mitch, I'm in the land of long winters and short summers (MN).

I do have a 65 GS (Dual Quad Intake) in the garage waiting for restoration...and I plan to keep that 100% original.

I'd like to develop an electric motor/transmission package/kit for others to do the conversion.   But the problem (like all hot rods) is that they are all unique because the builder/owner wants different things for different reasons.  Some want a car that could potentially win a drag race, others want a parade car...

I enjoy a challenge...so this should be fun.  Right now, I'm working on rust repair of my 65 (originally a 401, that someone replaced with a 350 Buick engine).  I felt since this car was so messed up that the originality was no longer a concern.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm also removing rust. Going ahead with Eastwood cast iron gray for the cast steering parts gear box, pitman arm, idle arm. I have the detail gray and used it on the intermediate and tie rod ends so maybe I'll use it on the contr arm stabilizer and switch to something like you have for the swing arms. I'm also looking at maybe staying with black in thoughts as well.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll try and post mine when done.