1933 Plymouth carburetor ?

Reg Evans

Guest DodgeKCL

Sorry I didn't get to this post earlier. The '33 and I believe some of the '34 Plymouth engines (PF?) take a carb with a closer spaced stud mounting. The '33 is also unique in that the float housing does not yet have a reinforcing web on it going over to the venturi. You'll have the devils' own time finding the exact '33 PC/PD 189.3 ci engine C6 carb. Good luck.

ps....countrytraveller in California is selling a set of '33 PC headlights. Maybe he might have carb also.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

I've got a couple of cores for the '33 carburetor. They look like they were rebuilt and then put on a shelf where the pot metal then proceeded to warp and crack. There are slight detail differences between them and the one on my car and I can't say which, if any, are exactly correct. The castings look very much the same and the early carbs had the identification number on little brass tags instead of the (non-existent) stiffing web to the air horn. The brass tags are, of course, long since missing

If you can find a good float bowl/body casting and a good cover/air horn casting I could probably supply you with the other parts like the throttle body, etc.

If you are going for a driver, it may just be easier to get a later intake manifold and carburetor.

By the way, I recall that you had some carburetor on there that I did not recognize. Any chance that could be made to work to your satisfaction? May not hold the original air cleaner though (I may have an air cleaner that could be made serviceable too).

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Thanks Dodge KCL for the info.

Yes Tod.  The one on my car has the fin on top. The best I can tell is it's a C6J1 or C6O1. It's stamped on the edge of the fin so it's tough to read.

It does have the smaller stud spacing of approx. 2 3/4" so not sure if the base was just put on a later model carb.  It needs a rebuild as even when the idle air mixture screw is screwed all the way in the engine still runs.  The engine does have a miss to it with this carb no matter how that screw is adjusted so it needs a good cleaning.

I borrowed a Stromberg from my 35 Dodge and it runs perfectly with it so I'm sure I don't have a vacuum leak on the engine.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I have thought about using a later model intake with the larger carb stud spacing. 

Can you send me some photos of that air cleaner you have Tod ?  rego@hughes.net

post-79638-0-11040900-1432604366_thumb.j

I'll take some photos tomorrow. I've got three filters:

1. The one on the car when I got it. I suspect it is factory original but haven’t come up with any photos to prove it and others say it is for a '34.

Two of the “helmet” style filters I have picked up along the way.

2. One was a rust bucket that I resurected through the magic of electrolysis. That is on the car at the moment.

3. Another which overall is in better shape but the cover attaching portion has broken and I've done a shade tree repair to.

Not sure which one I want to keep for longer term. I’ll photograph the two “helmut” filters and we can discuss this off line.

Maybe it is about time for me to take another trip to the Sierra foothills.

Here is a picture of my 33 Ply PD engine and air cleaner. Completely unmolested original, off the road since 1949.

Interesting as that is the same air cleaner that was on my 33 PD when I got it but the powers that be for judging in the Plymouth Owners Club say it is wrong. My guess is they made a running change during the model year and the early ones that were photographed for the literature were different than the later ones. But I have nothing to prove it.

Reg: I'm sending some photos directly to your email.

Guest DodgeKCL

All 1933 PC and PDs (and Dodge cars as well,Dodge 1/2 ton trucks too) only had the helmet type air cleaner as orginal equipment. That air cleaner is off a much later vehicle I don't know what though. The water pump on that engine is also the later version with a bypass on it. It has been plugged with a plate because the inlet/thermostat housing is still the original PC/PD part. The carb appears to be correct for 1933 189.3 ci engines. I would need a better photo without the air cleaner to be sure.