Cater AFB Date Code Question

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Just wondering how to read the date code on a Carter four barrel. Mine reads 3665S AK3. I think it was manufactured in 1963 but not sure. Thanks for the help.

Darren

Guest dwhiteside64

That's sounds like the right combo. Then it would be first week of November 1963. My car was built the second week of December 1963 so this is very plausible.

The A belongs with the S in the carb number. You have a 3665SA carb. The A represents minor revisions to the carb.

Your date code is K3 (Nov. '63).

I have an H2, built in August (H) of 1962 for my Nov. '62 build car.

post-48121-1431425052_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64

I see then. Mine is written with 3665S then a line below that reads AK3. Either way I get your point. Thanks Jim for the clarification.

The A belongs with the S in the carb number. You have a 3665SA carb. The A represents minor revisions to the carb.

Your date code is K3 (Nov. '63).

I have an H2, built in August (H) of 1962 for my Nov. '62 build car.

Jim, The format of the date code on your carb is not what I am accustomed to seeing on AFB`s...but I generally dont inspect anything but the dual quad carbs. The format described in the original post is what I find.

Tom Mooney

Carter used a few "week" "month" "year" dates in 1961, 1962 and 1963. However, I have seen only A's, B's, and C's, never a D. Certainly not all carbs produced during this time used the 3 character date.

While the 3503s was modified into the 3503sa, there is nothing in the Carter original documentation to indicate that the 3665s was so modified.

In the "for what its worth" category, the 3503sa used a different throttle body than the 3503s.

Jon.

I see then. Mine is written with 3665S then a line below that reads AK3. Either way I get your point. Thanks Jim for the clarification.

Another example of differences between '63 models and later models. I really only know the '63s. Forget my reply.

Since Jim brought up the revision code (I believe Carter referred to it as an engineering status code), I am posting the following from my website which will explain further:

Carter numbering systems. Three different types of numbering systems are found on Carter produced carburetors.

(1) On carburetors built for Chrysler Corporation, a series of 3, 4, or 5 letters and numbers; i.e. EV1 or D6H2.

(2) On carburetors built for Ford Motor Company, the “Ford” numbering system which is “lnll – l(l)(l)” or letter, number, letter, letter dash letter (possible letter) (possible letter) i.e C5VF-A. This system is codified in that the first letter is the decade (B=1950’s, C=1960’s, etc.); the number is the last digit in the year; the 3rd and 4th letters (before the dash) represent the vehicle model (VF=Lincoln); and the letter or letters after the dash are a modifier which distinguishes the exact application. Thus in the example C5VF-A, the carburetor would have been the first application for Lincoln in the year 1965.

(3) The traditional Carter numbering system which consisted of 1, 2, 3, or 4 digits; followed by the letter “S”, possibly followed by another letter. It is extremely doubtful that any of the single, double, or early triple digit tags will appear; as they were produced before 1930 and were constructed of red cardboard. The metal tag appeared about 1930 with tag numbers of about 300s. The 4 digit tag appeared in 1952, and was continued on until the end. The letter S and following letters, when present, have caused much speculation (mostly incorrect). In Carter’s terminology, an individual part such as an idle mixture screw was a single part; whereas two or more individual parts sold together such as a needle, seat, and gasket were sold as an “assembly”. Carter used the suffix letter S to denote assembly. Since all carburetors are composed of multiple parts, the letter S was appended to all carburetors using the traditional numbering system i.e. 938s. If a significant engineering change was made to the carburetor, the letter “A” would be appended to the S (i.e. 938sa). A second change would have the letter A replaced by the letter B (i.,e. 938sb). The highest engineering change of which I am aware is 4 i.e.938sd. Contrary to popular belief, the S DID NOT mean standard transmission, nor the SA automatic transmission.

The highest engineering status revision on the AFB carburetors was "C", and only on the 2640s used by FoMoCo.

Carter produced 505 different models of the AFB; still one of my all-time favorite carburetors. Wish Carter were still making them today (yes, Virginia, I know there are clones available, but they aren't the real thing!).

Jon.

• 3 years later...