Idle

Guest jmiller

Guest jmiller

91 v-6 Lately I've had an intermittent problem with stalling. It seems to be when ever I let off the gas quick and I'm stopping. The engine stalls. Sometimes when I'm still rolling. Occasionally when I start it, it dies right away unless I give it some gas. Any suggestions on what to check , and how to check it

Sounds like a sticky Idle Air Motor/Controller, it mounts on the throttle body, give the whole thing a good cleaning before replacing.

A flaky mass air flow sensor will keep you from starting and when they are going bad they will make you step on the gas some to get it started and can cause you to stall. Clean the other stuff first, you can clean the sensor; be very, very careful when you do, clean your AIC and throttle body first.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like a sticky Idle Air Motor/Controller, it mounts on the throttle body, give the whole thing a good cleaning before replacing.

A flaky mass air flow sensor will keep you from starting and when they are going bad they will make you step on the gas some to get it started and can cause you to stall. Clean the other stuff first, you can clean the sensor; be very, very careful when you do, clean your AIC and throttle body first.

Hi Digger. We don't have Mass Air Flow Sensors on domestic Chrysler products, including the TC. You are right about cleaning the Idle Air Motor/Controller. MOPAR calls them AIS motors. Another thing to clean is the throttle body around the throttle valve. This is where crud really builds up.

A good way to check this out is with a Snap-On 2500 tester or other type tester. Initially, check to see how many steps open the stepper motor is before cleaning and then after cleaning. It will give a good comparison reading, especially if the throttle body is really caked up with crud.

• 4 years later...

My mechanic already cleaned air flow sensor and got fault codes...still issues. He will have the car again this week and keep checking things. Could this happen if you're driving in OVERDRIVE all the time? I just found out I have been (I know that sounds like a stupid (woman's) error)...(embarrassed)...

55 minutes ago, Coco said:

My mechanic already cleaned air flow sensor and got fault codes...still issues. He will have the car again this week and keep checking things. Could this happen if you're driving in OVERDRIVE all the time? I just found out I have been (I know that sounds like a stupid (woman's) error)...(embarrassed)...

OVERDRIVE = That is the gear shift position most people use. It gives you all the available gears and also upshifts quicker.

Your mechanic could not clean air flow sensor, you do not have one.  What fault codes did he get? Please inform us.

Did he clean the throttle body in the area where the throttle plate closes in the throttle body?  It requires actual physical action on the part of the mechanic.  Unfortunately mostly women, but a lot of unknowing men as well, are lead astray by persons acting like qualified mechanics. 

Cleaning the throttle body is best performed by sticking your finger down into the throttle body while it is held wide open and actually 'feeling' the crud and rubbing on it, to dissolve it, intermittently spraying carb cleaner into the throttle body.

Any person can do it even you Coco. Just wear plastic gloves, as thin as surgeons gloves so you can feel the obstructing buildup and feel when it is gone. 

Mechanics would most often charge EXTRA for this operation when doing a tune-up. I did it as part of the tune-up job because it was actually more productive and made a bigger difference in the way the engine ran than replacing the spark plugs which was rarely needed.  There are few here who have over 55 years actual experience in the field of working on Chrysler built cars, who can give you advice from 'real life' experience.

What I meant was, has the speed indicator needle (speedometer) ALWAYS been functional even if the numbers were not turning?

This question is related to the stalling and the aforementioned speed 'Distance Sensor'.

If the distance sensor stops working at any time, the speedometer needle would simultaneously fall to "0" which would be a direct indication of a sensor failure.

I am just trying to pin it down.