Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fryguy

1938 Desoto bumper wanted

12 posts in this topic

Looking for a set of 1938 Desoto bumpers to complete a project on a coupe I own. Bumper can be from a sedan as I don't think they were differences between body styles.

Fryguy

Do you know what it looks like? I bought a front bumper that was supposed to be for a 1938 dodge coupe but was not correct. THis could be for a 38 DeSoto. It needs to be plated.

Hi, yes it is a three ribbed bumper like the picture below. Let me know if this is something that looks like what you have

post-89457-143139262878_thumb.jpg

Looking for a set of 1938 Desoto bumpers to complete a project on a coupe I own. Bumper can be from a sedan as I don't think they were differences between body styles.

Fryguy

Posted (edited)

Hi, yes it is a three ribbed bumper like the picture below. Let me know if this is something that looks like what you have

[ATTACH=CONFIG]163739[/ATTACH]

That's a 1937. This is a 1938...

post-37352-143139262883_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Yup. The 37 Desoto bumpers got all used up by those darn hot rodders in the 50s!

You can get extruded aluminum repops from a place in Vanc Wash. called Briz Bumpers.

post-52542-143139264375_thumb.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I have a '37 desoto, lol. I received this in a trade and the title says '38 desoto. Looks like I will have a hard time finding a '37 bumper as they seem to have a double use. I guess I can check out the Briz bumper solution but I am not keen on having an aluminum bumper. Might have to inquire about getting it chromed

Fryguy

Posted (edited)

The 37 was the only year that used this bumper and they are rare.

I would suggest that if you have one you would be ahead to get yours replated.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

I saw this bumper on a 37 Chry Imp and thought that it was the wrong one. To many ribs and the guards were behind the bumper. The 37 Desoto and Chry Imp have a lot of similarities.

I saw this bumper on a 37 Chry Imp and thought that it was the wrong one. To many ribs and the guards were behind the bumper. The 37 Desoto and Chry Imp have a lot of similarities.

The upper half of the Chrysler bumper is ribbed. The whole DeSoto bumper is ribbed.

Keiser, I saw the all rib bumper with the guards on the back side of the bumper. It was on a 37 Chry Imp rumble seat coupe that was for sale in your neck of the woods up thier. I'm putting togather a 37 and i thought we had the wrong bumper.

Posted (edited)

Keiser, I saw the all rib bumper with the guards on the back side of the bumper. It was on a 37 Chry Imp rumble seat coupe that was for sale in your neck of the woods up thier. I'm putting togather a 37 and i thought we had the wrong bumper.

Sounds like it had the wrong bumper on it. As I mentioned the Chrysler had only a few ribs on the upper half of the bumpers. The guards were in front of the bumper.

post-37352-143139331413_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

post-78906-143139331479_thumb.jpgThe grey car is the one I'm putting togather, the red one is the one for sale in your area.

post-78906-143139331444_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143139331453_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143139331461_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143139331471_thumb.jpg