1924 Dodge Touring Interior

Guest JaD

Thanks Vern, The car that I have had a Mohair interior and on the rear seat supportframe and the front exposed piece of wood had black carpet with a metal trim piece at the top. There wasnt a lot of it but it seamed to be glued to the wood and the trim piece held the top of the carpet in place. I dont know if this was original or not but if it was would that change what you said above?

Thanks,

Joe

Not a great picture but the rear seat support is to the right. You probably already knew what I was talking about but just incase I explained it wrong.

post-63718-143138120061_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

Here we go again!It proves out never say never when it comes to the Dodge Brothers cars/trucks.I quote my last post with a businesss sedan and a type A sedan that we parted out.and this is what I found difference of the two.Both were 116 Wb.and serial ## intecate that they were '24's.But I just check with the Dodge Story for '24 and it states that the "a" body car had leather upholstery with a foot rest.

Could you post the serial number of your car?is it a 114 or 116 wheel base car?

Vern.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Joe:

The carpet in front isn't correct all DB's to 27 had Linoleum in the front with matching linoleum on the running boards.Battleship Gray and Battleship brown.The late Bob Long told me that the brown was used from start to 1922 then with the change to steel boards went to gray.BUT I have had others say different.

Vern

Thanks Keiser! I have been coating it with poly so that it will be indestructable and hopefully last at least a hundred years. I have been thinking about putting a rubberized undercoat on the bottom of these as well to knock down vibration and seal them up even further from water and road debris. Tell me what you think???? When this is done it is not going to be any kind of trailer queen or sit in a garage year around, my Dad plans to drive it often so I thought some modern protection might be in order but I'm not sure.

I am struggling with Vern's question about ##'s........ I have searched through the forum and found where many people say and even show pictures of the ID number locations and can not find anything where they say it should be. I have crawled underneath, on top, evreywhere......... I am not saying that I didnt miss something and you might have the location that I missed but these are the only numbers I have found.

Engine block- A313-427 (stamped)

Fire Wall- 21002 (stamped in steel)

Engine Head- A-16147 & 26823 (not stamped, cast)

I measured the wheel Base and it is 116" wheel cap front to wheel cap front if that is the correct way to do it. My 7 year old son helped me and when done promptly asked if the Dodge could be his first car when he grows up.

Thanks, Joe

Are you talking about the article where it is mentioned that the number will be on the cross member under the seat? If this is so I have a problem...... I have a tool box under the front seat with no cross member, a cross member under the rear floor with no numbers on it. There is also the question of if this car has the original motor in it...... My Grandpa had four of these and has a bad habit of switching things around..... Like putting his best motor in his best condition car....... he is in Mexico right now for at least another week or two so I cant ask him. My dad and I assumed that he never touched this car but he has had at least 3 engines and two body's on his van that he currently owns.....

Thanks, Joe

Guest oldodgeboys

Joe- The car serial number is stamped onto an alumum identification plate which is attached to the top right corner of the floor toe board (sorry, I missed your earlier posts so I'm not sure if you still have the original boards). I still cant find a serial number stamped on the cross member of my car.

Your engine number appears correct for a 1925 car. To determine if the engine is correct for your 1925 car, you will need to get the car serial number.

Guest Backyardmechanic

The serial Number on the 24 up are stamp on the right side of frame back or above of the front spring rear bracket. The number on cross member were stamp on early 23's back. The engine number would be about 50,000 higher then the car number.So if one would -50,000 from the engine number this would be close to the car number BUT not a true number.

Just done some math By subtracting 50,000 from your given engine number this would give you A263427 with this number the car was built some time after FEb,16,1925.

Another point to verify your car date is tire size all '25 came with 20 inch wheels wood and steel.

Vern.

Edited by Backyardmechanic (see edit history)

Guest Backyardmechanic
Vern, there's an exception to your statement that all DBs had linoleum in front. The Fisher coupe had carpet front and rear. Maybe we should say all REAL DBs had linoleum.

Thanks Dough I for some reason keep forgeting the fisher thing.And often wounder why The factory went with Fisher to built it when Bud was there body builter from almost day one.

Vern

Guest Backyardmechanic
Thanks Dough I for some reason keep forgeting the fisher thing. And often wounder why The factory went with Fisher to built it when Bud was there body builter from almost day one.

Just ones thought.

Vern

I had a lot of boards ....... and pieces of boards but that board was totally missing. I will crawl around it some more but so far there hasnt been any numbers on the frame or crossmembers that I can find. Open to any and all suggestions............

Jan, I hear what you are saying and it has been mentioned before about the strips. I dont mind putting strips in there but I thought spraying the whole underside would protect the wood even further. My thought process was that it would be good and solid when there is even less of you guys around to tell beginers like me what it was sappossed to look like. I am not trying to go way out of stock and thought that this would'nt be a big deal since it is on the underside of the car. I wont go that way if you guys think that is a bad idea or it will mess up the restoration of the car. That's why I have not done it yet and threw it out there for you guys to think about and let me know what your thoughts were. Let me know............

Thanks,

Joe

Spray grease and tranny fluid ( and I mean lots of it ) all over the undersides of your floorboards, it will preserve them and at the same time make them feel right at home under your Dodge.

I think you are doing an excellent job sealing the floor boards. Putting a rubber coat on will not preserve it and may even peel off if you have painted it with pollyurathean. The purpose of the strips is to seal the floor boards from alllowing dust and fumes in. It does not protect the floor boards but does eliminate some squeaks. You are doing an excellent job.

I agree with Jan...what you have already done is great. I would not add any other material (liquid or rubber). Unless you live on a gravel or dirt road and use the car as they did in it's day (getting into mud up to the hubs), you should not have a problem preserving the wood.

Joe, from what little I know your floorboards will be fine with the finish you put on and the anti-squeak material others have mentioned. I think the issue with the original wood floorboards has to do with the lack of the roof material in the earlier photos you posted. A leaking roof will do rotting wonders to your floorboards...I know from personal experience. I think what you've done to protect your new floorboards is fine...and beautiful by the way....just make sure the car's future is in an enclosed spot and that the roof doesn't leak and those floorboards should last a very,very long time.

Guest oldodgeboys

On the engine number question:

I saw a posting a while back that an engine serial number difference up to 80,000 was possible (1925 time frame). In this case that would still make the engine late 1924.

Is there a serial number expert out there that can comment?

So the book says its over the right hand spring hanger the forums says its over the right hand spring hanger. It is over the right hand spring hanger. I got after it with a pocket knife and a wire brush and there it was. It looks like somebody repaired the front fender and when done painted it all including some grime over the numbers. It all looked the same of course after sitting for so many years so my mistake in overlooking it.

The frame number is A241-533

Engine number is A313-427

The grease and tranny fluid sounds fun but I have already put a couple coats of poly on it so no go on the mess making, sounds right up my alley though. I can see how the poly would hold up and be fine but I always try to over do things like this just in case. I have learned the hard way on that more times than I have fingers and toes. So is the rubber strip a special item or is something I can go to the hardware store for? Since I have the numbers up I am curious about colors for the car as well, I think we would like to go with something other than a all black car but still stay with something that would have rolled out of the factory.

Thanks,

Joe

That is good news to be sure on the engine #, I dont know about the rubber, in 29 and 30 they used felt, I had not heard that rubber was used in earlier cars and I guess I missed the post where someone said it should be rubber.

I have been poking around at interior guys trying to find a replacement for mohair upholestery but they say it is not available and there is not a whole lot of materials that are the same these days. What solutions have you guys come up with?

Thanks,

Joe

I know Lebaron Bonney has mohair. They didn't have the original color that I had though so I got mine through a local fabric store. If yours is patterned, I know of no sources for the old patterned material. Mohair can be pricey...Lebaron Bonney is the cheapest I've found for actual mohair....but mohair has an authentic richness to it that a velvet, that many use for replacement upholstery, doesn't have.

Dont tell lebbaron that you are doing a Dodge, tell them its a ford or something, my experience has been that if I mention Dodge to either Lebbaron or Hampton ( which if I remember correctly are the same company ) they look at me thru the phone as if I were stupid and lose interest.

I had already told them about having a Dodge. Maybe I will call them tomorrow and not mention it. I am also going to call a few other places that I found on the internet that have "discounted" mohair. I am not hoping for much but whats a few phone calls. Why is it so hard to find a mohair with a pattern in it anyway??? I have been told that the mohair would have been a light brown earth tone color too but it seems more like a grey between black stripes to me. So am I wrong if I assume that my car is actually a early 1925 and I have to add one more thing to the list of things I was wrong about?

post-63718-143138124538_thumb.jpg

I had already told them about having a Dodge. Maybe I will call them tomorrow and not mention it. I am also going to call a few other places that I found on the internet that have "discounted" mohair. I am not hoping for much but whats a few phone calls. Why is it so hard to find a mohair with a pattern in it anyway??? I have been told that the mohair would have been a light brown earth tone color too but it seems more like a grey between black stripes to me. So am I wrong if I assume that my car is actually a early 1925 and I have to add one more thing to the list of things I was wrong about?

What you have there looks to me like a patterned cotton broadcloth. Are you sure it's mohair?? Mohair is sort of a rough bristle-like woven wool. Does your material feel softer than stiff velvet? I have light brown mohair in one of my cars. I have seen gray. I have not seen any mohair with a pattern. Here is a photo of my mohair. Notice the inner side material woven pattern. I also have to add that mohair is scratchy material to sit on if you are wearing shorts!

post-37352-143138124807_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

A friend of mine had his father in law who does upholestery come over and take a look at it and he felt it and told me it was mohair. It doesnt really feel like a soft material to me but it is really weathered and I think something may have made it's home in it at some point. I looked at the material you mentioned and it seems to fit better than mohair but I really have no knowledge on fabrics. I took the material over to my friends house so I cant look at the back side right now but I will make an effort to look at it tomorrow. Any other special marks or information to identify?

Thanks,

Joe

I see in your photo how your material looks on the back. It does not look the same as mine. I could be wrong, but like I say, the giveaway is the pattern to me. Mohair is also a very heavy material. If anyone out there has actually seen patterned mohair, PLEASE speak up.

I only know what I have been told here and by a couple other people that may have just been throwing out guess' but I thought only leather and mohair was available in these cars? I know it could have been changed but Grandpa said it was original??

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, I agree with Keiser in that it is not a mohair you have as it does look like a striped wool broadcloth. I hope I wasn't confusing by using the term "patterned mohair"...it was not patterned by way of using color necessarily, but by cutting a pattern into it of high and low pile if that makes sense...I've seen it on furniture and in cars.

That does not look like Mohair to me either and I agree with keiser in that I have also never seen a pattern on Mohair, I have only seen solid colors. If you were to purchase a parts book for your car than it may tell you the different types of materials offered on your car bodystyle as my parts book does. I may be wrong about that though as I just recently purchased an original 28 Victory six car and truck parts book and in laymens terms it sucks compared to my DA book. Just alot of #s, I am sure they can be crossreferanced as I had mentioned before but I have not had time to really dig into it yet, anyway the earlier parts books may have been set up that way, I just dont know, seem plenty of Dodge Brothers book of information though on E-bay, those will just add some more pieces to your puzzle. Again enjoy your time that you are spending, dont make it work.

I just wanted to show what I called "patterned mohair", but is sold today as "cut pile" mohair or "sculpted" mohair. I've never seen anyone find a duplicate of an old pattern, but Joe does seem to have broadcloth...not sure his particular colors can be found either, but a striped broadcloth seems easier to find that the mohair with patterns. One photo is of a 1921 REO sedan and the other is one of a pair of chairs ( lower left) I used to own.

post-56954-143138125081_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138125083_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My friend the interior guy had a bunch of samples sent to him and one of them is almost a perfect match or at least the best I have seen out of all the samples so I think I will go with it. I am having the top and the seats done and ordering enough material to finish the rest at a later date. That way when my Dad comes and gets it next week he will be able to sit in it for the first time in who knows how many years. I know I am ahead of what I should be doing but at least all but the top pop right out so work can continue, plus my friend is doing it for cost. My Dad and grandpa are going to work on the mechanical side of the car for a while, plus I kind of have to hand it off since we are moving to Dallas in a couple of weeks.

Does anybody have interior handles/cranks/pulls that I could buy from them? ( I need all of them )

Does anybody have a dash panel and everything associated with it? Grandpa says he may have it somwhere but it has yet to be found in his 2 acres and 60 years of collecting..........

Does anybody have the steering colum and engine controls? ..... 2 acres.........

If anybody has "extra" that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price please let me know. My e-mail is davis2505@cableone.net I have a gob of pictures that I have taken of every corner of the car and the inside as well plus I will be taking more in a couple of days so if anybody wants all or some of them please e-mail me and I will gladly send them on.

Edited by JaD
change of email davistx@verizon.net (see edit history)

For your handles and lots of other stuff go to Welcome, wont find better quality. I am pretty sure on alot of the bigger stuff e-bay will be your quickest bet, prob. would be wise to purchase an entire parts car or the car itself will nickel and dime you to death. I would like to see pict. if they are readily avail, my e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy couple of weeks........

New E-mail davistx@verizon.net for pictures

I am having trouble uploading the pictures that the interior guys took but I can email them to anybody that would like them. Front and rear seat are both done along with the top.

post-63718-143138137956_thumb.jpg