Oaks and Dow Sootless Spark Plugs

Bob Paquin

I have two NOS Oakes and Dow Sootless Spark plugs in the original boxes. Box indicates 1/2 inch pipe thread, patented 1905, made in Boston, MA. Can be disassembled for cleaning, brass construction. Was 1/2 pipe thread common for early engines? Are these considered rare and of any value? I've had these for more than 50 years but they don't do me any good sitting in a box in the closet.

Hi Bob, these are nice plugs to find NOS. They are not really rare among collectors but are not easy to find still in the original boxes. I've got some parts catalogs that list them as still being sold into the teens. They were a pretty good plug with featuring both the durability of the mica insulation and the porcelain that was on the end sticking into the engine. 1/2 inch pipe thread was a very common thread size. It was most commonly used in the less expensive autos like the Model T Fords. The 1/2 inch pipe thread was self sealing and didnt need a separate gasket. I'd be interested in them so shoot me an email if you want to part with them. terry007@infionline.net

Yes, Bob was kind enough to let me add them to my collection. The Forum is really great because not only did I add the plugs to my display but added a new friend in the process. Bob and I have been sharing email about our collections and we're enjoying photos of our garages and "stuff." One of my "rules of collecting" is to share, and the ability to do that via the web adds a whole new deminsion to our hobby. I'l post a photo of the plugs when they arrive on this end, as well as a few more that are kinda neat.

Terry

Yes it is interesting how many survived in the original packaging. I think over the years spark plugs have actually gotten cheaper. Back in the teens, the average price for a plug was about a buck and a half and that was nearly a day's pay for a lot of people. The plugs arrived today and are really nice. I'm going to put them into one of my old display cabinets later this evening along with some others. Here is a pic-

post-30751-14313796777_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...