Plymouth Rear parking brakes

Guest JoeofColorado

Guest JoeofColorado

[h=2][/h]

Need some help.

Can you tell me when Plymouth (Chrysler Corp.) changed over from a transmission parking brake to rear wheel parking brakes.

I replace my 1939 3 speed transmission to a newer manual 5 speed transmission and now need to know where to begin my search for rear wheel parking brakes.

My thinking is that some later parts can be retro fitted for a rear wheel hand brake.

As always, your input and help is greatly appreciated. You can also e-mail me directly at

Joe

I'm pretty sure that the parking brake on the '63 Plymouth we had was on the rear axle brake drums. I vaguely recall that the '57 and possibly '61 Plymouths we had were on the transmission but I was just a child then and did not turn a wrench on either of those two cars. I know that the '63 D200 pickup I owned had the parking brake on the back of the transmission.

Guest JoeofColorado

That looks interesting. The frame looks similar but that looks like a diff brake and not one that had the transmission brake. What is the car/truckl?

Joe

1960 Valiant was the first Mopar car with the emergency brakes on the rear wheels. The 1962 B-body Plymouth and Dodge were next, followed by Chrysler, Dodge 880 and Imperial for 1963.

Cars with transmission brakes used Lockheed brakes while cars with the emergency brake on the rear wheels used Bendix brakes.

I'm pretty sure that the parking brake on the '63 Plymouth we had was on the rear axle brake drums. I vaguely recall that the '57 and possibly '61 Plymouths we had were on the transmission but I was just a child then and did not turn a wrench on either of those two cars. I know that the '63 D200 pickup I owned had the parking brake on the back of the transmission.[/quote

I just sold a complete rear axle from a 66 Dodge 440 to a customer with a 63 Ply, The 63 has the trans e brake.

Joe, like I said this is a one off that at some time a PE frame and front end was converted into a P/U as in my avitar. Back in 86 it was purchased as a possible factory prototype, there is a mopar article based around this truck but sadly I now don't think it was.

What is the difference between a transmission brake and a diff brake, they both come off of the prop shaft?.

Am I understanding it correctly that the Imperials used this diff brake set-up in the 30's , if I ever live long enough I would like to build an Imperial dual cowl recreation, not sure if my pockets are deep enough.

I'm pretty sure that the parking brake on the '63 Plymouth we had was on the rear axle brake drums. I vaguely recall that the '57 and possibly '61 Plymouths we had were on the transmission but I was just a child then and did not turn a wrench on either of those two cars. I know that the '63 D200 pickup I owned had the parking brake on the back of the transmission.[/quote

I just sold a complete rear axle from a 66 Dodge 440 to a customer with a 63 Ply, The 63 has the trans e brake.

Plymouth switched to Bendix brakes and the rear wheel emergency brake for 1962, as well as the park sprag in the Torqueflite automatic complete with lever beside the transmission buttons. Chrysler did not build 1963 Plymouths, or any 1963 cars, with transmission emergency brakes. The one you saw may have had the transmission e brake, but that does not mean it was built that way at the factory. After all, it is soon going to have a 1966 Dodge rear axle, which, as we know, was not a factory option in 1963.

Guest JoeofColorado

Thanks to all for your feedback. It is the forum's contributors that make this medium so valuable.

Joe

Plymouth switched to Bendix brakes and the rear wheel emergency brake for 1962, as well as the park sprag in the Torqueflite automatic complete with lever beside the transmission buttons. Chrysler did not build 1963 Plymouths, or any 1963 cars, with transmission emergency brakes. The one you saw may have had the transmission e brake, but that does not mean it was built that way at the factory. After all, it is soon going to have a 1966 Dodge rear axle, which, as we know, was not a factory option in 1963.

Bill

I did not see the car. Customer calls me about me parting out the 66 Dodge. He tells me that he has a 63 Ply that he bought new. He had nothing but problems with the rear end and was tired of fixing it. He ask if I would sell the complete rear end with all the e brake hardware up to the e brake handle? I mentioned to him that his car should have the e brake on the axle. He said nope! Its on the back of trans. I know that people do stupid things to their cars, but nobody would convert from e brake on the axle to the back of trans. Going to do research on this like I did on the car below. Do you have any diagrams of the e brake for 63-64?

Then a week ago, a customer calls with a 36 Chrysler C6 with a OD trans. He was looking for another trans to replace his. He said his was beyond repair. I said that we have one and the he ask if the e brake was attached? I said yes and he came back and said the they are different because his e brake is on the axle. Learn everyday.

• 2 weeks later...