Very early VIN 88 Reatta-won't find a better deal.

tbenvie

You won't find a better deal, and here it is:

I have bought and sold well over 50 Reattas since 1988. All my 4 kids and 12 nieces and nephews had Reattas as their first car, then I would get them back when they outgrew them. Reattas have been very good to me and my family, and the compliments I would get on the cars just confirmed my belief on why I had them. I especially enjoyed the convertibles and never did experience any cowl shake or rough ride. However, I am now 62 and took an early retirement due to arthritis and tough to bend and walk around. At 6'3 and 300 pounds I can no longer get in and out of the Reattas so started to sell them last year. I have two left, both 88s. Both cars are red/tan with 16 way seats. The first my oldest was driving until he had a blowout which ripped the fender and rocker apart. The ignition mechanism also broke and I replaced the steering column, breaking the horn while I was at it. I used parts from the second car to fix this one., The fender is red, but very faded compared to the rest of the car. The seats are excellent. Everything works. He drove it for over a year I think without any other problem. The second one I gave to my niece in 2001 and then her two sisters drove it. I gave it to a friend of mine a few years ago for his daughter but the windshield cracked and he never found another so it sat. I got it back to fix the first car, plus I needed a door to fix a blue 90 I sold. But this is a real early production car, and as I mentioned in another post on early cars there is probably about 20 early cars left, if that. I'd really hate to see this go. So because the Reattas have been so good to me, here is what I will do: I will GIVE these two Reattas away to whomever will keep #280 from being parted out and will repair it. At the very least, everything needed is on the other car, but at the most, not much is needed. But you have to save this car. No saying "It needed to much" or "I couldn't afford it" or any foolishness like that. Plain and simple, I will give them both to you-and you can drive the other once you fix he horn-but you have to restore #280 no question. The whole Reatta community will be watching you. so it will be your honor and integrity on the line.

So the good: the left fender, door, decklid, quarters, taillight, hood, roof, headlight assy marker light, front and rear bumper are all good. the right door I removed yesterday so the car is not out in the weather long. I kept the right doors speaker, vent window, mirror. door panel. The right rocker and fender are destroyed. I put the fender on the car to connect the hood to the hinge. The interior of #280 isn't bad. there is fading, but there is no damage to the doorpanels or center armrest. the rear panels etc are okay as is the headliner. The touchscreen also worked last time the car had power. The steering column is out, the steering wheel is ripped. All four wheels are good, hubcaps are there but some are just okay. I don't remember if the headlight motors were rebuilt on #280, but they were just done last fall on the other one.

When I restored the AMXs i would take every nut and bold off of them and repaint the entire car to include underneath-I was doing this in the late 70s long before most other muscle car restorers did it. One great thing at that time looking back was the availability of parts and resources because the cars weren't that old. they also shared a lot of parts with the Javelin, and mechanical parts with a lot of other models. The same is true of the Reatta. The $100 AMX I used to but are now $5-10K and the restored ones are easily $50K plus. I personally think the Reatta also has a future in the collectible world and premium prices will be paid for the right car in the future. "One of the first" and "One of the last" are always a good bet.

Spring is here and I can't hold onto the cars. The quicker they go the better. You can email me at tbenvie@comcast.net if interested.

post-30910-143143075379_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075406_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075436_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075464_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075495_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075525_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075552_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075581_thumb.jpg

post-30910-14314307561_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075639_thumb.jpg

post-30910-143143075669_thumb.jpg

I resisted commenting because as much as I'd like to take the challenge I'm not in a position to do so for lack of space for any more cars and by the geographic distance. If the cars were within 50-100 miles I'd probably figure out a way to make it work. I can't justify the cost of transport from MA to MO for two cars I have no place to put.

Would love to restore #280 to keep it intact and on the road. Have the tools and the skills but am too far away and already fully stocked with Reattae so I am not the proper candidate for the job. Already involed in restoration work on two cars concurrently and simply cannot consider adding to my workload presently.

Now, if someone near St. Louis, MO ended up with these I would consider offering to helping out with some work if it could be arranged.

Two free cars - with the stipulation that #280 be saved - is a solid offer for someone with the time/space/skills to take it on. Probably also end up with some spare parts when all is said and done. I sure hope someone is up for this. Even discounting the potential significance of #280, I hate to see two more cars go to parts/scrap disposition if Tom cannot persuade someone to buy them, much less take them for free.

KDirk

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Most CL cars I've seen the past 4 years in the midwest were near junk and still asking over $2000. The perceived collectible status isn't actually there yet to support asking that money for a car just this side of the scrap yard. It is one thing to save a low mile car with shot paint. It is another to pay that money for a 200,000 mile car that is used up in addition to being cosmetically rough.

Tom is making an offer that is very attractive to the right Reatta enthusiast. Under different circumstances, that would probably be me. Regrettably, I am in the wrong place and the wrong time to do it. I cannot believe someone isn't up for this though. Of course, it has only been a couple of days so maybe we should give it time.

I do understand there will be costs involved in taking two free cars. Titling, registration, parts and supplies that need to be bought (paint job appears to be the big one) and one's time and sweat of course have a quantifiable value.

If you know these cars and are comfortable tearing into them for repair and restoration this is a chance to make out well by getting the cars for nothing. You add the time and money to get at least one of them right, and maybe both given the parts #280 needs - door/glass, fender, and maybe a column, can be sourced elsewhere rather than cannibalizing them from the other complete car. Then you have two complete cars good to go.

One question is how the titling would be handled. The state of MO charges sales tax on a vehicle purchase, and I'm certain they will not accept a car was purchased for $0 leaving no tax liability, so they will probably assume book value at a minimum and charge sales tax on that amount. I imagine other states will do the same. Needless to say, "free" may start to get costly depending on the locale and other factors. That needs to be considered as well.

Nonetheless, this is a rare opportunity for someone to get a good - maybe great - deal.

KDirk

I would have considered the Parts car but since the Steering is disconnected, It would be very hard to move around. The running car I also considered but figure my costs to come and get it would be in the $250 range and I would not restore the car, It would be for parts so it just does not make sense. Best of luck to you in finding them new homes.

I do not think it's a sad commentary that people have not jumped at this exceptionally generous offer. Instead, I think it is a reflection of the seriousness of the matter at hand and the respectful thoughtfulness of those in this forum. In lesser forum you would get a quick "I'll take it" and have to question the motivations of the taker. A free car is great but with the conditions of rebuild and repair comes great responsibility. I do hope #280 finds a great home, I really appreciate Tom's love of this car. I too get emotionally attached to my car's.