1970 Buick GS unusual clutch link at bellhousing

GS1455

Has anyone seen a clutch linkage rod design (supposed to be rare, but original I am told ) on a big block A body (GS) with 4 speed muncie instead of the usual straight push rod on depression in clutch fork, this clutch fork is drilled with a pin and clip, and the push rod is an eyelet on the end with a small bushing 3/8" ID in rubber grommet. has anyone seen this, maybe on another buick or ? the rubber in the eyelet end is bad and bush is pushed metal to metal. I cannot find this eye bolt I guess you would call it, 4" eye center to end 3/8"course threaded bolt end, anywhere I have looked, any thoughts ? thanks, Pat

The rubber isolator was probably there for noise transfer attenuation. You might check the large catalogs from Classic Industries for other GM vehicles (that would have had manual transmissions as a matter of course) to see if there might be something there you might could use. Possibly TAPerformance, or similar, knows about this Buick-specific (possibly) item? It's also possible another similar GM item could replace what you've got?

Other than the clutch pushrod, what you describe is similar to many other GM vehicles with manual trasmissions. There usually is some plastic "concave washers" which serve as the friction interface with the retention devices on the clutch fork pivot items. As I recall, what I call the "adjustment stud" is pointed on one end and has the two adjustment nuts on it, one for adjustment and the other for the other side of the item to serve as the "lock nut" situation. I suspect all of the various GM clutch linkages, even on light-duty trucks, will be similar, but will need to be customized for each vehicle's architecture.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

There is only one guy that reproduces them (and the rest of the Buick clutch setup for A bodies). Dave Kleiner in Potosi, WI. 708-763-2076 is his shop's number. Don't buy anything from any other vendor. Those will not work and were made for Oldsmobiles. The Buick set up is different than anything else.

Try Dave Kleiner @ 563-599-3467

Also Mike Garrison sold me some of the bushings (from a corvette application I think)

they have to be adjusted a little to fit properly.

I have also used a heim joint from McMaster carr and some ingenious cobbling to get a heavier duty bit of hardware in that spot.

Edited by Wildcat65 (see edit history)

Brad, Thanks just the same, I was able to press the bushing out of the eye end of the eye bolt. It is a rubber bushing with a 3/8" i.d. metal sleeve and thin metal tapered sleeve on outside 7/8" o.d. x 1/2 " thickness.A bushing should be more findable than the whole piece, if I was good on a computer I would post a pic, sadly I grew up in the era of my 70' buick, no computer at all most my life, I do my best, Pat