1967 Buick Riviera GS Driver's Door Armrest

Guest taongisurvivor

Guest taongisurvivor

I just purchased a 1967 Buick Riviera GS, deluxe interior, buckets, center console, dual gate shifter, 51,600 actual miles, star wars breather. It is one beautiful car! The car will be delivered in a couple of weeks as I am currently deployed in Kuwait (civil service). It came with some extra parts to include is a second star wars air cleaner that I have that is almost perfect (slight, slight paint abrasion in one small spot due to hood insulation rubbing) along with the base plate and round knob. The black vinyl interior is perfect with the exception of one small hole in the driver's side door 'arm rest' insert in the door panel. Think a hole the size of your pinky fingernail. Are these inserts available aftermarket???

I just purchased a 1967 Buick Riviera GS, deluxe interior, buckets, center console, dual gate shifter, 51,600 actual miles, star wars breather. It is one beautiful car! The car will be delivered in a couple of weeks as I am currently deployed in Kuwait (civil service). It came with some extra parts to include is a second star wars air cleaner that I have that is almost perfect (slight, slight paint abrasion in one small spot due to hood insulation rubbing) along with the base plate and round knob. The black vinyl interior is perfect with the exception of one small hole in the driver's side door 'arm rest' insert in the door panel. Think a hole the size of your pinky fingernail. Are these inserts available aftermarket???

I`m assuming your car is Plum with a black vinyl top? VERY attractive color combo and a real deal `67 GS. Congrats! Dont think the armrest is available in the aftermarket. If you purchased the car I think you purchased, it appeared to me a vinyl repair can easily be performed, no need for complete replacement. Nice, nice Riv GS. I would love to see it in person at our national meet in St Charles IL in June. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

Guest taongisurvivor
I`m assuming your car is Plum with a black vinyl top? VERY attractive color combo and a real deal `67 GS. Congrats! Dont think the armrest is available in the aftermarket. If you purchased the car I think you purchased, it appeared to me a vinyl repair can easily be performed, no need for complete replacement. Nice, nice Riv GS. I would love to see it in person at our national meet in St Charles IL in June. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

Tom: I can't call you because I only have Government DSN circuits. However, you can call me because I have a satellite up-link Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VOIP) phone that is connected to a Huntsville, Alabama loocal number. It rings straight on my desk. The number is 256-955-8375. We are currently 10 hours ahead of Central Time. I work 0600 - 1800 7 days per week. So you can call early in the morning or later in the evening. I can give you some skinny on the transaction to fill in the gaps. I thought you had to replace vinyl when there was a hole? You can repair it???

Wow, that sounds like a complicated phone call! I`m still learning how to use my flip phone!

Yes, there are repair services that cater to the car, RV and boat dealerships that can do minor vinyl repairs and coloring on the spot. This is done all the time at dealers who carry used inventory. Chances are very good you will not be able to notice a repair has been made.

Tom

Welcome to the forum taongisurvivor. Congratulations on your purchase. Looks like a nicely optioned GS with superb curb appeal. If you haven't already check out ROA. A plum 67 was my first Riviera back in 1977. Post some pics of the car when you can so others can enjoy.

I worked for a vinyl repair firm a number of years ago when vinyl interiors and vinyl tops were the top of the line options. As Tom states, a good repair and re-dye will be unnoticeable is done by a professional. Don't try it with the kits you can by from places like JC Whitney, they don't have the tools with which to do a really professional job. The vinyl repair industry is not as big as it once was because of the lack of vinyl on today's car, but there are still some professionals around. What you have to be careful of is putting undo pressure on the repaired area or you'll wind up right back where you started.

Ed