65 Riviera GS

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Desire clean matching number example.

The more original the better.Have wanted to own one for 40 years. It's time.

Desire clean matching number example.

The more original the better.Have wanted to own one for 40 years. It's time.

You should also post this in the Riviera section.

Your location? Budget? Email address? You can send me a Private Message with the info if you like.

Thanks, Chris

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

That is the car I was going to email you about. Here is what the owner said about it:

the car has matching numbers, transmission, rear end, distributor and carb is all original.

The car exterior was gold, changed to black

As far as we know original miles (67k+)

No rust or damage, no panels have been replaced all original

Everything on the car checks out to be okay

We have owned the car since August of 2014

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Just received craigslist post from JZRIV. Might be a good candidate. Thank you for responding and for suggestions. Rookie needs guidance. Was once Riv owner, both 66 and 68 back in the day.

Past MN chapter BCA member. Should rejoin. MN resident. Will pay fair price for quality.

http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/65gs/

Verify for yourself the numbers on the engine, trans, and both carbs, verify limited slip rear. Should be a metal tag I think. I am not an expert on the first gen Rivs but others here are.

I'd check the wheels closer to be sure they are correct for 65 or at least ask the question to seller to see if they know. Common for people to ad them but not purchase the correct ones. Not easy to find 65 wheels.

Check the floors closely for evidence of rust or past repairs. Need to look under car for this.

Do not assume anything, verify everything the seller says especially since they only had it since 8/14. Its just good habit to verify everything especially when paying that much.

I can tell you someone installed the wrong springs in rear. It is sitting up too high. Not uncommon to see though.

Remember a car can have matching numbers and be an LX code engine but not necessarily originally a GS.

If car is "as advertised" its a good asking price. Well no, its a great asking price. This doesn't mean you should rush into it without crossing I's and dotting T's but I wouldn't delay getting the process started.

Check out the Riviera Owners Association while you are there looking at the GS info. Our national is in St Charles IL this summer not too far from you.

One more thing - ask where they got the car, previous owners, etc. Maybe someone here will have some background on it.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest Ireallyratherwould

I have images from factory plate, engine and body just sent. Is anyone willing to look at them and help me understand if they match up? I know exterior color has changed.

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Have requested pics of all VIN and tags. Have knowledgable person standing by to assist. Thank you for your help. Most grateful.

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Thank you Tom. Had a Tom Mooney in my hood when a boy. Still around and good guy. Now I know 2. Another member JZ will send you some images. I have requested clear images of all required tags and VIN and am waiting for those.

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Thanks to all who have taken their time to help me. No purchase yet but connecting with you has helped my confidence

Guest Ireallyratherwould

Help from members of this site has been invaluable as I continue my pursuit of a factory original survivor 65 Riviera GS. Please continue to alert me when you learn of an available prospect.

Guest Ireallyratherwould

The seller agent was responsive to requests and easy to work with. Decided to wait for a vehicle that hasn't had an exterior color change. Holding out for a survivor. My guess is that someone will enjoy owning it very much. Sure is pretty that's for sure.

I see that the winning bid was $33,500 for the

Ebay auction ending March 4. Let's see if the sale holds!

And for reference, the car is currently in Columbiana, Ohio;

the seller is "Dave," and his posted phone number is (330) 540-9843.

Do people think that was a fair selling price?

I see that the winning bid was $33,500 for the

Ebay auction ending March 4. Let's see if the sale holds!

Do people think that was a fair selling price?

$33.5 was the Buy-It-Now. Maybe a better chance sale will go through with a BIN?? Hope the buyer realized the incorrect items on the car. This is a good example of how matching numbers can increase value and add to that changing color from factory can actually increase value. I think the matching numbers, shiny black paint, and great interior is what sold the car. Despite its shortcomings, as stated above I felt CL price of $28,900 was a great buy. Apparently someone else felt 33.5 was a great buy too!

Guest Ireallyratherwould

I do not have the expertise to judge the value of this or any other vehicle. I joined this site with hope that I would meet others with more ability to do so. My original post explained my want. For me the value is in originality. Hope buyer enjoys it. My search continues.

There's probably fellas reading these posts that have what you want-or know of such. Since you didn't answer the 'budget' question, somebody that might consider selling may have stayed quiet. The '65 GS would be considered the most valuable Riv, and like the '64-5 GTO, and some others, considerably more likely to be a 'faked' car. The car want you are describing I think will be very costly. I'll just say that nothing beats a solid original as I've mostly been disappointed after carefully inspecting most 'work' and poor 'restorations' over the years-and they have to be personally inspected as descriptions and pics only get you so far. You'll need to spend time learning and/or having your knowledgeable person in your pocket. The ROA meet would a worthwhile trip for you-good luck. Dan Mpls. Mn.

There's probably fellas reading these posts that have what you want-or know of such. Since you didn't answer the 'budget' question, somebody that might consider selling may have stayed quiet. The '65 GS would be considered the most valuable Riv, and like the '64-5 GTO, and some others, considerably more likely to be a 'faked' car. The car want you are describing I think will be very costly. I'll just say that nothing beats a solid original as I've mostly been disappointed after carefully inspecting most 'work' and poor 'restorations' over the years-and they have to be personally inspected as descriptions and pics only get you so far. You'll need to spend time learning and/or having your knowledgeable person in your pocket. The ROA meet would a worthwhile trip for you-good luck. Dan Mpls. Mn.

As usual, very well spoken,

Tom

Guest Ireallyratherwould

I have more knowledge on market price for a 65 Riviera GS that fits my wants than I have for determining its status. I am ready to pay market price for the "right" car. I have already admitted that I will require a knowledgeable agent which I suspect will not be too much of an issue. Tell me more about the ROA meet Dan.

OK-I thought you had somebody, but maybe more is better than less- sometimes not, but for unmolested original, that takes a lot of the oppinion out of the quality of piles of 'work done' other that normal maint and parts R+R. There are several folks that have contibuted to this site and live nearby that know 1st gen and '65 Rivs-do a site search . You will find more on V8Buick.com. You should join The Riviera Owners Association(ROA) now and the annual gathering of Riv owners puts alot of cars and folks with knowledge in one place. This year it's an easy drive for you.

Guest Ireallyratherwould

I'll check out that site and join. Thanks. Will also check dates for event . Hope to get there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ireallyratherwould

Just received my ROA member number today 14742. Also rejoined BCA MN club. Still in pursuit of my dream car. An original, "survivor" 65 GS.

Hope to meet many of you at this year's event in Ill.