1929 BUICK MASTER

raydurr

1. I have noticed different type radiator cores used in 29 Buicks. One type (like my car) uses a hexagon shaped opening for the air to travel thru. The other is a "diamond" shape opening. Which one or were both used in production?

2. Which hood lacing or welt was used on the cars ? The split or flat type ?

3. On the insert below the radiator, what was the proper finish for the strip (top of photo) that separated the radiator from the lower panel? If chrome , how could it be re chromed without damaging the lower honeycomb ?

4. What paint color is correct for the radiator tank, shroud/sides, core or other parts? I presume semi gloss black.

5. My radiator had no mounting pads or shims when removed .What thicknesses have you observed on un molested cars?

6. I need the bracket that mounts on the radiator that the hood center hinge rod goes into. Mounts with a screw on each side.

7. I have a very good example of the shown part for a STANDARD that I may part with.

post-83084-143142919985_thumb.jpg

Raydurr, I have two Buicks from the early 1920's. One is a 1920 with less than 5,000 original miles on it and the other is a 1922. At this period of time Buick sourced radiators from three different manufacturers. There was Harrison, Fedders, and Rome-Turney. Did Buick still carry this practice on in 1929? I honestly do not know the answer to that question. It is possible to have three different models of Buick automobiles from the early 1920's with three different radiator core styles. The people from this period in time who would know have been gone for decades and this knowledge died with them. In regard to your hood lacing, the best thing you can do is try and observe as many 'original' cars from your era to see what they have. I can tell you that my 1920 used the simple flat lacing. Your car is 9 model years newer and could have changed in a lot of ways from my '20. I am sorry that I have not been able to be of more help to you, but you need to know what was done earlier so that you can have a starting point at least.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I am sure Bill McLaughlin will chime in here to clarify. I encourage you to subscribe to his Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter.

Meanwhile, I will try to answer what I can remember from my 29 Buick Standard.

1. I have noticed different type radiator cores used in 29 Buicks. One type (like my car) uses a hexagon shaped opening for the air to travel thru. The other is a "diamond" shape opening. Which one or were both used in production?

Harris honeycomb style.

2. Which hood lacing or welt was used on the cars ? The split or flat type ?

Flat.

3. On the insert below the radiator, what was the proper finish for the strip (top of photo) that separated the radiator from the lower panel? If chrome , how could it be re chromed without damaging the lower honeycomb ?

It was plated and can be re-plated by sealing the honeycomb portion in wax or other sealant prior to plating.

4. What paint color is correct for the radiator tank, shroud/sides, core or other parts? I presume semi gloss black.

Chassis black.

5. My radiator had no mounting pads or shims when removed .What thicknesses have you observed on un molested cars?

3/16 - 1/4" webbing similar to fire hose. This may vary to keep the hood sides even with the sill plates.

6. I need the bracket that mounts on the radiator that the hood center hinge rod goes into. Mounts with a screw on each side.

Easily made from bar stock with tapered holes for cap screws.

1. I have noticed different type radiator cores used in 29 Buicks. One type (like my car) uses a hexagon shaped opening for the air to travel thru. The other is a "diamond" shape opening. Which one or were both used in production? As far as I can tell, all 29 Buicks used the Harrison honeycombed radiator core.

2. Which hood lacing or welt was used on the cars ? The split or flat type ? Definitely flat on cowl. Not sure on the shell. Think flat but will have to check and advise.

3. On the insert below the radiator, what was the proper finish for the strip (top of photo) that separated the radiator from the lower panel? If chrome , how could it be re chromed without damaging the lower honeycomb ? I would say black. The only correct references are factory photos and the two I have show it to be black. Illustrations used for sales literature are often artist renderings and not reliable.

4. What paint color is correct for the radiator tank, shroud/sides, core or other parts? I presume semi gloss black. The radiator was painted a special radiator black that is, I believe, a thinner paint which does not inter-fear with heat transfer. I believe that the entire radiator, tanks, shroud, sides, etc. were assembled and painted this colour. I don't believe that the add-on parts were pained separately and then put together. The overflow pipe would have been soldered on before it was painted. I think you'll find that the inside of the sides were not painted when you take apart an original radiator - meaning that they were put together before the whole radiator was painted.

5. My radiator had no mounting pads or shims when removed. What thicknesses have you observed on un molested cars? They used scrap brake lining - probably 3/16" or 5/32" thick (as used on the car) and there were usually 3 pieces stacked. There was a slot (not just a hole) so these shims could be easily inserted or removed to get the radiator shell / hood lined-up.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter

2. Which hood lacing or welt was used on the cars ? The split or flat type ? Definitely flat on cowl. Not sure on the shell. Think flat but will have to check and advise.

One of the resident experts in the 1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club says:

"My first 1929 Buick - a model 29-27 - had flat on both the cowl and rad, and I believed at the time this car to be completely factory original.Would not be surprised if Fisher and Stewart used whatever was on hand.

I do prefer the split, as it allows for a lesser banging of the screw heads on the metal."

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter

post-41092-143142923262_thumb.jpg

You can see from the front view photo when this was my 29 Buick (now my son's car), that the bottom of the radiator is all black.

As Bill noted, the paint on the core may be thinner. Some use black shoe polish rather than paint to maintain maximum heat transfer.

Thanks men for the solid recommendations. I knew that others advice would save me time and headache. I will never get the car exactly the way I want it, but I do prefer to get it as complete and original as possible. Unfortunately I believe advice and resources may be more difficult in the future.

Thanks men for the solid recommendations. I knew that others advice would save me time and headache. I will never get the car exactly the way I want it, but I do prefer to get it as complete and original as possible. Unfortunately I believe advice and resources may be more difficult in the future.

Raydurr, As for advice being more difficult in the future, this group of forum participants have in my experience never been short of advice or knowledge. Being on this fourm, you have encounted the mother load of knowledge. ;)