27 chrysler high oil pressure

Guest LDMJ62

I recently purchased a 27 chrysler model 50.I changed all fluids and rebuilt carb. before even starting the car. Upon starting I had no oil pressure so I cleaned oil pressure gauge line and filled it with oil, removed oil pan and put new washers on lines,cleaned oil pressure tube.Started car oil pressure came up to 22lbs. Started driving car and pressure pegged gauge out at 30lbs. and stayed there.I let car cool down started it pressure back to 30lbs.My oil pressure relief plunger is almost adjusted out. Car is running off fuel pump not vacuum tank. Would the suction on oil pump being capped off put oil pressure up? Fuel vacuum tank on chryslers was connected to oil pump. Car has new babbit bearings in it.Running 30 wt. non detergent oil. Manual says oil pressure should be 10 to 22 lbs. at high speeds and 4 to 8lbs.at low speeds. Any help appreciated.

Guest LDMJ62

Thanks for the reply, The former owner had the engine work completed a little over a year ago, so I do not know of the workmanship preformed. He drove the car in parades and around town after the work was completed. I would think engine failure would have already happened by now.The original vac tank is a Byrne- kingston oil vac that attached to the vac side on oil pump. I have researched it online. I uncapped it(the oil suction connection on the pump) this afternoon and attached a small copper tube. I could change the pressure on the gauge by crimping the tube, but don,t know if this is the solution to the problem. Bought an inexpensive oil gauge today to test accuracy of old gauge but threaded connections were wrong size.I will have to get adapters . Do you know if I should have filled the oil gauge line with oil? , or should it just be connected to pump and let air pressure in the line control the oil gauge, and would this affect the accuracy of the gauge? Would the oil hurt the gauge if it was pressured in it.Thanks again.

Guest LDMJ62

Failed to mention oil pressure gauge line was clogged, could barley get compressed air through it at the onset of this whole ordeal. Pressure now Just too much.

Guest WEB 38

I Have a 1926 model 50 and also went to an electric fuel pump I have not checked the oil pressure. But it runs great no problems. Bill

Take the oil pressure relief valve apart. Make sure it moves freely. Make sure the port or line the excess oil pressure is bled off through is open and clear.

The oil pressure gauge will have oil in it regardless, it was clogged by old dirty oil. In the winter on some vehicles we'd put kerosene in the oil pressure gauge line so it would show a reading and respond faster.

Most oil pressure gauges are a curved or bent tube, that is attached at one end to the gauge case or housing. The other end has a rack and pinion type setup that has the pinion attached through reduction gearing to the indication needle. If the gauge is over pressurized, the rack and pinion can be forced out of correct syncronization with the needle.. BUT this usually shows up as the needle not returning to zero.

i'm betting on a stuck pressure relief piston, jammed spring, or clogged relief port.

GLong

Guest LDMJ62

Thanks for the comments, I'm going to drain oil pan today and check plunger.Just had it apart a couple weeks ago,but going to recheck it.I have about 2 turns left on my screw to relieve pressure on my spring and still get the wire back in, going to adjust that why I'm in there. I don't know how sensitive the spring is but 2 turns isn't much but I'm going to adjust it. My pressure relief plug has a hole in top center and no ball,so oil is always passing through it to some extent, guess excess pressure would still push plug downward.I thought there would be ball there but book not showing one.Glad to know I'm ok on oil in the gauge line. This oil pressure deal is all new to me . Thanks for all the help.

Guest LDMJ62

Right on about the gauge! Installed new temporary gauge ,pressure at 15 lbs. Decided to take a short trip to monitor the pressure, a steady 15lbs. just where it supposed to be. Relieved that my oiling system was ok, my short drive turned into a relaxing 15 mile drive through the country. Thanks to all who gave input. I haved learned so much about oiling problems. This is certainly a valuable site with excellent members. I'm going to join the aaca.

Before you get all crazy hook another gauge, that is known to be accurate, up and verify the pressure. It certainly could be a stuck relief valve, but make sure you do have a problem before chasing it.

+1 on this (where is that "like" button?)

The spring in your relief valve may have been replaced with one of too heavy a value.

The OP already installed another gauge that is known to be accurate. So the oil pressure regulator is OK.

I would install a 'T' at the control valve, install the known good one on one side, remove the original from the dash and install it on the other side.

With the engine running, adjust the original to read what the known good one does. Zero $$ spent.

Guest LDMJ62

I like curt's idea, no money spent. Soon as a i get the gauge out I will post a pic of it. You guys with the knowledge can tell me if can be adjusted. The old original gauge pegs out at 30. New reads about 15 lbs. max at upper speeds.