Need a few reference photos

alini

I am just about done with this window adjustment, I think. Can someone please post a pic of their window spacing. I need a pic of the alignment of the front and rear window seam. When I started both my metal trim/seals fell off because the rubber holding them on the glass had dry rotted so much. So I dont know how close they are supposed to be to one another. They arent binding right now but they look really close.

One of my metal pieces came off and dropped into the quarter panel about 20 years ago. I can't remember driving the car with the windows up. I gotta get that out of there and put it back on.

When I do check weatherstrip tightness I close a dollar bill (well, a dollar for Chevies and Fords, 20 dollar bill for Buicks, 50 for Bentley's, 100 for Rolls) between the door and the weatherstrip. You should be able to feel a firm grip as you draw the bill out. Too tight will tear, too loose will have little resistance

Chris,

If you have a "Body" service manual (not a "chassis" service manual) there are explanations of what and how to adjust guides, etc. in order to get the windows to fit. The 3rd third of the manual is exclusively dedicated to Rivieras. If you don't have a Body service manual, I think they're available as reproductions or on CD.

Ed

I have the manual and all it tells you is how to adjust, which adjusment moves the glass in a direction. It doesnt specify how fa apart the glass is supposed to be to one another

Here is a pic I took today at a local car meet. These both came from 60s era GM cars with similar window arrangements. THis is the measurement I am looking for. How far apart are the two windows supposed to be or does it matter as long as the window is sealed and doesnt bind?

post-86247-143142897408_thumb.jpg

My 65 is an unrestored survivor that has never been touched, and on both sides the rear of the driver's window covers up 2/3 of the overall width of the rubber

seals on the leading edge of the rear windows with 1/3 of the overall width of the seals exposed.

Take a look at the quarter window seal. On mine, part of the seal (where it's attached to the molding) is solid rubber. The part that seals against the door glass has a hollow space in it (it's flexible.) I think that I would adjust the rear window so that when it closes against the door glass, the flexible (hollow) part can be compressed and the solid part is not touched. Probably about the same fractional parts to which Winston makes reference. Make sure that both glass surfaces are on the same plane when closed.

Ed